Discuss contactor rating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shaun12

When looking at contactors, does the coil voltage refer to auxiliary a1/a2 such as 24v supplied from a plc output and contact voltage rating refers to the feed/load being switched? If a contactor is rated to 690v/3-pole could it be used for 415v/3pole or 230v single pole?

A1 & A2 are the coil voltage to operate the contactor, the voltage switched is only relevant to the current being switched. So the voltage is not a issue, as the contactor rated for 690v will switch any voltage below its rating. The current rating will however decrease on lower voltage and if used for DC switching

Any voltage can operate a controlling coil for a contractor switching any voltage.

It should noted though that many old contactors may still have a 240/415v coil

You must make sure though that all supplies are from the same main source of supply even if a transformer is used, if not it should be indicated that there are 2 sources of supply.

Last edited:
The current rating will however decrease on lower voltage

Don't understand this bit Tazz, did you mean to say the power rating?

Thanks for the replies.

Would this be classed as a contactor?
What is the part sitting out from the main unit?

8cebb694e85583ceda959d248c363093.jpg

Thanks.

Oh what's the difference then? They both operate in the same way with the same idea a coil making contacts when energised. So when does a relay become a contactor?

Contactors have the ability to switch higher currents and are made to suit whilst relays normally switch much lower currents such as control circuits etc. You can purchase mini contactors which are the same form factor as the relay you have there.
What is it you are wanting to do with this?

Last edited:
These are seimens range of compact contactors and usually for the lower loads ...as for the difference between them well I never really thought about it, but often relays tend to be limited load handling ...

This isn't technical but if clicks, its a relay and if it clunks, its a contactor ;) (Excluding solid state device before I get a smart comment :p)

Thanks.

Oh what's the difference then? They both operate in the same way with the same idea a coil making contacts when energised. So when does a relay become a contactor?

Generally speaking a contactor is used to switch a load and a relay is used within control circuits.
But there is no hard and fast definition to either.
Generally contactors have higher current ratings and switching duties, but you can also get relays capable of switching 100's of amps.

The tell-tale sign in your picture are the markings, these denote normally open and normally closed contacts which are usually found on relays of that type, contactors on the other hand are marked up differently L1, L2, L3 etc.

The tell-tale sign in your picture are the markings, these denote normally open and normally closed contacts which are usually found on relays of that type, contactors on the other hand are marked up differently L1, L2, L3 etc.

That doesn't necessarily make it a relay though, it could still be a contactor.

Some of the other writing on there is a bit more useful in getting reliable identification, specifically the part number. A quick google brings up a data sheet clearly tilted 'contactor'

These are seimens range of compact contactors and usually for the lower loads ...as for the difference between them well I never really thought about it, but often relays tend to be limited load handling ...

This isn't technical but if clicks, its a relay and if it clunks, its a contactor ;) (Excluding solid state device before I get a smart comment :p)
clunk -click. thought jimmy saville was brown bread.

I'd say it's a contactor, that's what I ask for when I need one of these lol, relay and contactor are essentially the same thing, as has been said it is usually higher switching currents with a contactor, but whatever the manufacturer calls it.......

I didn't realise a contactor could be switched using Normally open Or normally closed contacts like a relay can be switched, I thought they were coil controlled?

Reply to contactor rating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net