Discuss Cooker circuit with new appliance not matching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Smasher

DIY
Reaction score
Cooker circuit has B40 MCB in the CU for the cooker, confirmed wired to the cooker outlet throughout, via a cooker switch & socket with a 10mm cable.

Issue is new cooker has a 1.5mm cable (fitted by manufacturer see image). It is 3.22KW rated load, and 16A fuse rating. The cooker connection too small to fit 10mm cable to.
Hob is gas but attached plug for ignition.

How to deal with this in a safe and sensible way? thanks.IMG_7046.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fused spur or plug and socket?

Fused spur or plug and socket?
I did consider the fused spur from the 10mm cable, but I’m not sure we can get the 10mm into one end of a spur. It’s probably the easiest of answers with that circuit in place, but I don’t know what the professional electricians would say about that. As much as it pains me, I’m considering putting a new MCB, say 32A, in a spare slot on the CU, a 4mm cable across to similar area and find a way from there, perhaps on another’s cooker switch. I find it bazaar that a new cooker is run on effectively what looks like a thin kettle lead.

3.22kW by 230v is exactly 14A, well within the design of 1.5mm cable.

How is the cooker connected? To a regular cooker outlet plate that already exists? Just connect the 1.5 to the 10 there, and downgrade the circuit breaker to 16A.
You won’t need to change the wiring in any way.

If the cooker comes with a cable attached, you’re not supposed to change it…

A cooker is classed as a fixed load…. It won’t be able to pull any more than the 3.22kW stated.

How is the cooker connected? To a regular cooker outlet plate that already exists? Just connect the 1.5 to the 10 there, and downgrade the circuit breaker to 16A.

A cooker is classed as a fixed load…. It won’t be able to pull any more than the 3.22kW stated.
Yes that sounds like a good solution. But just thinking about the plug socket on the cooker switch do I need to have a higher circuit breaker to accommodate that socket?

Don't see a problem with the 32A MCB, as far as the 1.5mm2 cable is concerned. It's a fixed load, so overload protection is not required, and in the event of a live to earth short circuit, it's no different to a short circuit live to earth on a spur off of a ring, where the 1.5mm2 cpc carries the full fault current.
Whether the oven manufacturer requires 16A fusing for the actual appliance is a different matter.

Okay guys worked perfectly on a 16A fuse until I pushed it to the limit heat wise AND plug the kettle in to test. That tripped the 16A MCB

Reply to Cooker circuit with new appliance not matching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net