Discuss Council consultant in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Iv been asked if I would like to be a electrical consultant for building control for my local council has anyone had any experience with this is it worth doing?

Hi James, ideally you should have a very good knowledge of BS7671:2008 and the Building Regulations but as far as it being worth doing, what did 'they' offer you and what are you doing now?

Only you can tell if it's worth it.

Have you done any work in a 'consultancy' capacity before?

with work being as it is at the moment, i'd bite their hand off.

Im just trying to keep my company running at the min, I think I have quite good knowledge of the regs, I havent done any consultancy or that kind of thing, they haven't offered anything particular at the min just they promised me work but a limited amount per year.

they may want you to inspect electrical work done by non=registered sparks.

you'll probably find that they would want you in clerk of works basis i.e. inspecting instals and repairs etc.
i have worked for a number of consultant engineers in the past and also scottish homes many years ago as a clerk of works.
as long as you know your business and can spot a crap instal or non compliant installation and a good grasp of the regulations and testing you should be fine.

I've done consultancy for Windsor & Maidenhead Council, and Bracknell Forest Borough Council in the past. I stopped when I started teaching full time.
The work came in but it was very irregular, some weeks it would be full then maybe there would be a month with no contact at all.
You will be considered as the 'go to' guy for any conflicting scenarios they have. So you must be confident in your ability to make decisions and be sure on what reference you can provide to back up your comments.

I'm looking for work now as I fancy stepping out of the classroom. If I was assured of regular work in this field I would take it up again without a second thought.

Give it a go mate, would be interesting if you could relay to us some of the work you are seeing.

snap that big fat consultancy hand off:smiley2:. Make sure your insurance covers you for PI and then you are a consultant, opens all sorts of avenues.

Reply to Council consultant in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net