Discuss Customer want extra sockets and additional wiring points with this fuseboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all As stated above see attached photo. Have never seen one of these any certainly doesn't look to have RCD protection so question is how do I comply with regs as am hearing now RCD spurs and sockets are not compliant with regs anymore ( or if they ever were) this would get me around the socket issue but can't see how could comply with the lighting unless install RCD unit near DB? Which is recessed.....lovely

Attachments

• IMG-20201029-WA0000.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 67
Dorman Smith with BS3871 Type 4 mcbs totally inappropriate for general socket outlets, type 3 are obtainable but nothing for rcd protection. Needs replacing.
For anyone interested here is the difference between a type 4 and a type 3 (generally the markings are rubbed off). Type 4 has ridges above and below the toggle, type 3 do not plus the toggle differ.
20200803_130729.jpg

Last edited:
only way with that board would be a RCD in a separate enclosure, after the MCB, then on to your sockets. same with lighting. not really cost effective. new board required.

Dorman Smith with BS3871 Type 4 mcbs totally inappropriate for general socket outlets, type 3 are obtainable but nothing for rcd protection. Needs replacing.
For anyone interested here is the difference between a type 4 and a type 3 (generally the markings are rubbed off). Type 4 has ridges above and below the toggle, type 3 do not plus the toggle differ.View attachment 61746

only way with that board would be a RCD in a separate enclosure, after the MCB, then on to your sockets. same with lighting. not really cost effective. new board required.
Thanks chaps will have to break the great news. Another recessed board change ? if they go for it.

BS4288 RCD sockets and FCUs aren't listed in BS7671 any more, though that may not have been a deliberate omission. The NICEIC position at least is that they are suitable to provide the required additional protection to new socket installs.

There's a statement they made to that effect in their magazine a year or two back that I have a copy of somewhere, so they are still an option for individual points.

Looks like a board change is the better option in this case though, even if it might be a pain!

Didn't we have a thread somewhere where we talked about these RCD sockets & FCU's?
The conclusion was that these were an omission from the regs and that they were going to get added.
Have they not changed this in the 19th draft regs? I don't have a copy at the mo.

Reply to Customer want extra sockets and additional wiring points with this fuseboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net