Discuss Dangerous DIY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NAV

Hi all. New to forum, although I have viewed many many posts. I decided to join as I came across a dangerous situation today which I have never encountered before when pricing up an exterior light replacement. Asked where light switch was and was shown a single gang socket in upstairs bedroom on opposite side of wall to cable entry on outside. Asked old lady if ok to remove plug in the socket whilst I did a test. Plugged in meter for a Zs test but no power at socket. Asked if circuit had been switched off, no she said you have just unplugged it. Big thinks bubble, then I traced the plug lead around room to find a plug on the other end which was plugged into a socket behind bookcase and switched ON. DIY job by ex husband, maybe he was trying to get rid of her.

Sounds like you just encountered your first 'widowmaker' and survived to tell the tale. I hope you removed the offending item.

Looks like it backfired, He's gone and she's got the house..

Maybe the old Girl was the culprit and that's why the husband is no longer around, Don't always trust the sweet old Dear's they are female at the end of the day.

Hi all. New to forum, although I have viewed many many posts. I decided to join as I came across a dangerous situation today which I have never encountered before when pricing up an exterior light replacement. Asked where light switch was and was shown a single gang socket in upstairs bedroom on opposite side of wall to cable entry on outside. Asked old lady if ok to remove plug in the socket whilst I did a test. Plugged in meter for a Zs test but no power at socket. Asked if circuit had been switched off, no she said you have just unplugged it. Big thinks bubble, then I traced the plug lead around room to find a plug on the other end which was plugged into a socket behind bookcase and switched ON. DIY job by ex husband, maybe he was trying to get rid of her.
nowt new that....

Ask PaulM about the time we went to look at a job...

found allsorts of shyte there...

My neighbours dad did a similar thing, I have no idea why and font understand the logic, but he wired a plug on both ends of a length of cable and plugged one end into a 4 way bar to power it, the 4 way bar only had a 1meter lead so to get it to where he wanted he used this really ancient cable to feed it, oh and the plug on the end of the 4 way bard was just in a sandwich bag!

My neighbours dad did a similar thing, I have no idea why and font understand the logic, but he wired a plug on both ends of a length of cable and plugged one end into a 4 way bar to power it, the 4 way bar only had a 1meter lead so to get it to where he wanted he used this really ancient cable to feed it, oh and the plug on the end of the 4 way bard was just in a sandwich bag!
caus their bellends...thats why...

Have it come up on a welding forum now and again, 150+ amp welders can blow 13A fuses so some one tried splitting the mains lead into 2 plugtops so they could use both sides of a double socket!!!.

caus their bellends...thats why...

Yes.. But he was 81, I'd let him off, but he's got a full ticket and sharp as anything, he said he hadn't killed anyone. This was prior to me retiring his house from old 3036's with no earth connected what so ever, so no main eath Nd no bonding either. Nice eh!

Maybe the old Girl was the culprit and that's why the husband is no longer around, Don't always trust the sweet old Dear's they are female at the end of the day.

Careful now ...... that comment is bordering on being sexist and that's not "nice" and on this forum we all have to be "nice" or risk a ban or at least an infraction. ;)

Reply to Dangerous DIY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net