Discuss different make SPD in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
Is there a reg anywhere that states that you have to use the same make SPD inside a consumer unit. I know there are with MCB's as they obviously have to sit on the same bus bar but an SPD just slots in and has flexible cables wiring it up.

No, as you say. I would agree.
No as in there isn't a regs breach? What about the regs that states MCB's must be of the same make, would it fall under the general rule of that one.

what has happened is we re-wired a council property and they insisted on a Crabtree consumer unit but we couldn't get a Crabtree SPD board or SPD module that day and the property was being handed over that day so we fitted a BG one with a crabtree MCB protecting it.

Now some council BOD has done an EICR on it and pulled it on the different make SPD.

There is no such thing as a 'regs breach'. BS7671 is not a statutory document, but a collection of guidelines to be interpreted by a competent person. Since the dimensions of a DIN rail and the size and position of the slot in the panel in front of it are standardised, there is no problem there. A SPD does not produce heat in normal times - it just sits there, so no problem there.
As long as you are competent enough to judge if the distance between the terminals on the SPD and the back of the front panel is adequate, and that the SPD projects far enough though the panel so that there are no IP problems, then it's fine.

There is no such thing as a 'regs breach'. BS7671 is not a statutory document, but a collection of guidelines to be interpreted by a competent person. Since the dimensions of a DIN rail and the size and position of the slot in the panel in front of it are standardised, there is no problem there. A SPD does not produce heat in normal times - it just sits there, so no problem there.
As long as you are competent enough to judge if the distance between the terminals on the SPD and the back of the front panel is adequate, and that the SPD projects far enough though the panel so that there are no IP problems, then it's fine.
The thing is I know that its perfectly safe but I'm up against a public sector drone who's sole purpose in life will be to make other people's life a misery so if there is even the slightest chance that there is anything technically wrong with it then it will get flagged.
The only reg I can find is 536.4.203 which states that

"in consumer units incorporated devices and components shall only be those declared suitable according to the assembly manufacturers instructions."

The thing is I know that its perfectly safe but I'm up against a public sector drone who's sole purpose in life will be to make other people's life a misery so if there is even the slightest chance that there is anything technically wrong with it then it will get flagged.
The only reg I can find is 536.4.203 which states that

"in consumer units incorporated devices and components shall only be those declared suitable according to the assembly manufacturers instructions."

If an SPD is installed from an MCB and not directly on the busbar system, it does not affect the integrity of the consumer unit.
Also, as an SPD is a voltage detection device, it does not have a short circuit withstand capacity, such as an MCB, so does not require type testing to any specific manufacturer.

You should ask Crabtree if they're happy having the BG SPD in their board. They're usually pretty good at answering emails quickly, and you have the answer straight from the horse's mouth.
There are quite a few people who wouldn't be happy to have a BG anything
I reckon Crabtree will put the phone down :)

If an SPD is installed from an MCB and not directly on the busbar system, it does not affect the integrity of the consumer unit.
Also, as an SPD is a voltage detection device, it does not have a short circuit withstand capacity, such as an MCB, so does not require type testing to any specific manufacturer.
I asked this question of an SPD manufacturer (Surge Devices) at a trade fair. They said exactly what you said.
Random thought, but did you spend a day in Manchester wearing a dress about a year ago?

An SPD does not form part of the requirements to meet the enhanced breaking capacity in the product standard, therefore any brand SPD can be utilised.
The "Council Bod" is unfamiliar with the product legislation and standards.
Whilst this requirement has been brought into BS 7671 it comes from product law, and the product standards for the assembly.
BS EN 61439-3 being the relevant one, with part 1 of that series also applying.
The law is the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations, as amended.
The only reason this is even in BS 7671 is because the law and the existing standards were being ignored by sparks.

Last edited:
Is there a reg anywhere that states that you have to use the same make SPD inside a consumer unit. I know there are with MCB's as they obviously have to sit on the same bus bar but an SPD just slots in and has flexible cables wiring it up.
Is this one you’ve installed? If so and you’re questioning it, why not swap it for the same brand as the DB and then you’re covered?

Reply to different make SPD in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net