Discuss Digital Radio Interference in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Sitting here in the warm in the kitchen, listing to the radio via our DAB radio I've noticed a correlation between the boiler working and the radio signal breaking up. They are both plugged into points on the same ring circuit.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

A first step to solving the problem would be to try using an external aerial, you could be in a fringe area for reception and the locally emitted interference is swamping the signal.

Could Be:
Pump inteference
Thermostat wiring
if a modern boiler, and the most likely, the internal Switch Mode PSU.
Not a lot you can do about it in any event. You could try wrapping the mains cable of the radio around (through) an assortment of ferrite beads and cores. Much like those you see at the end of some PSU and USB leads. Inteference suppression is a bit hit and miss and more of a 'black art' than science although I'm sure that someone here will probably be able to talk in Teslas, micro-henrys and flux densities.

Do you still get interference if you run the radio on batteries instead of mains power? This would be a good indicator if it's radio frequency noise or supply noise.

As the radio is mains only, today I left it in the same physical position, but ran the supply off an extension lead from another circuit, and hey presto the interference dissappeared!

Sounds like a noise suppressor on the boiler would be the way to go. Instead of buying one you could steal one from a scrap appliance like a washing machine or microwave.

Happy Christmas :)

Reply to Digital Radio Interference in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net