Discuss Dimmers above 1000w in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Got a client who has bought a nice big chandelier which has 50 halogens in it! These are 25w each thus totaling 1250w. Problem I have is that he wants it to be on a dimmer switch. The only ones I can find are rated at 1000w, does anyone know a supplier or a product which I could use that has a higher rating, maybe 1500w?
Thanks
Steve

Wow, 50 halogen lamps in a chandelier, he's probably going to have a hole in the ozone layer named after him if he doesn't use LED's.

The problem with dimmers over 1kW rating is the heat that they produce. Where I am we get the small module type dimmers up to 1.5kW but they come with heat paste to use when mounting in the wall plate and they need to be in a deep backbox with some ventilation otherwise they've got a low life expectancy.

As UKMeterman says you're probably going to need a complete dimmer unit possibly even 2kW that gets mounted somewhere out of the way where's there's ventilation and you run a signal cable to the switch where you fit either a rotary potentiometer or a bell-press switch.

Look for a single channel dimmer with 0-10V control input. Anytronics make one, often marketed as a follow spot dimmer.
You'll have to mount it somewhere like a cupboard and run a 2 core cable to the switch with a 0-10V pot mounted on the switch plate. The other end of the signal cable will need a 1/4" jack soldered to it.
Then the dimmer output will be on a socket (usually 15A)

Personally I would leave it at 1200w......And sit all the kids under the chandelier in a circle roasting marshmallows on sticks. Singing Ging, Gang, Goolley.......At least you would get your moneys worth, from the electricity bill...!!!

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the advice, looks like you need some serious bits of kit for anything over 1kw!
Ukmeterman, that MK product looks like the way forward I think. Im just contacting them now to see if I can link the two together to get a total of 2kw but if they can be used for one fitting or like you say, if it needs splitting. Which isnt really a possibility of which I will then have to get some of the theatre lighting stuff.

Thanks , I will let you know

Is there any option of swapping to dimmable led ? What fitting are the lamps ? It might not give quite the same effect though.

There are led bulbs/lamps that have filaments now and look the part would be a lot lighter on the lecky bills and easier to get a dimmer I like the retro look. Supose it depends on the client.
Theres lots available check your local wholsaler or try these http://www.megamanlighting.com/en/led-lighting/led-lamps/led-non-directional/led-filament-lamp/LC1403CS-E14-2700K-230V

tried to link directly but it goes to the previous page if you look on the page at the left it says filament lights just click on that .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys
Got a client who has bought a nice big chandelier which has 50 halogens in it! These are 25w each thus totaling 1250w. Problem I have is that he wants it to be on a dimmer switch. The only ones I can find are rated at 1000w, does anyone know a supplier or a product which I could use that has a higher rating, maybe 1500w?
Thanks
Steve

No wander he wants them on a dimmer! What lamps are they....is a lower wattage lamp available maybe.

If G9's then 18W are available..

Hi, yeah I managed to source a 15w bulb for them so the total was 750w so I could use the easily available 1000w dimmers. That MK product however isnt being made anymore so the MK tech support wouldnt give me any advie on it...
Thanks for all the awesome support as usual guys!

Reply to Dimmers above 1000w in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net