Discuss Discussion regarding mixed colours in CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am having a discussion with a friend who is currently training to be an electrician. He is adamant that you cannot mix colours withing a consumer unit. He says the regulations state it and he will find the reg number (we haven't got one to hand at the moment).

I have always been under the impression that it is ok to mix the colours (i.e using brown/blue for a new circuit in a consumer unit that contains red/black) and then place the required sticker on the CU. We only have the Onsite guide to hand which just states the 'sticker' should be placed on the CU, nothing is mentioned about the wiring in the CU itself.

Is there a regulation that states you cannot mix colours in a CU?

I can't believe there is!

Of course there isn't. There are obviously regs that state all the colours of particular conductors to be used in new work, so you can't install cable coloured to different versions of the regs.

Ask him how any addition to an installation is supposed to be carried out and get him to reference regulations.

I am having a discussion with a friend who is currently training to be an electrician. He is adamant that you cannot mix colours withing a consumer unit. He says the regulations state it and he will find the reg number (we haven't got one to hand at the moment).

I have always been under the impression that it is ok to mix the colours (i.e using brown/blue for a new circuit in a consumer unit that contains red/black) and then place the required sticker on the CU. We only have the Onsite guide to hand which just states the 'sticker' should be placed on the CU, nothing is mentioned about the wiring in the CU itself.

Is there a regulation that states you cannot mix colours in a CU?

I can't believe there is!

That is scary nonsense. Is he currently a plumber?

Of course there isn't. There are obviously regs that state all the colours of particular conductors to be used in new work, so you can't install cable coloured to different versions of the regs.

Ask him how any addition to an installation is supposed to be carried out and get him to reference regulations.

Quite agree Andy. He says you would have to add another consumer unit, but then what colour cable would you use from the original CU?? Or use red/black or rewire the house! I know, I know I've explained that this is nonsense but he keeps saying it's in the regs!! I'm sure it'll all be cleared up when he cant find it in the regs and then I can have a good smirk.

That is scary nonsense. Is he currently a plumber?

Not a plumber but a fairly intelligent chap. I personally think he has either misunderstood his tutor or his tutor has somehow got it wrong, hopefully the former.

Last edited:
He may have fallen prey to the belief, IMHO shared by a few people here too, that the wiring regs are a mishmash of random nonsense handed down from on high that has little to do with the real world. In fact they are a valiant attempt by a team of smart guys to describe in just one book how to make every conceivable electrical installation safe, efficient, durable, easy to understand and work on, compatible with other trades and technologies and yet economically viable to install. It's a hugely complicated balancing act, writing regulations. Trying to reconcile the needs of electricians, manufacturers, legislators, insurers... all of whom have differing priorities. Every reg is both a part of an overall system and a specific thing in its own right, and its benefits should outweigh its costs. If he considers this framework, he might like to ponder how such a reg as he suggests could make both engineering and commercial sense...

He may have fallen prey to the belief, IMHO shared by a few people here too, that the wiring regs are a mishmash of random nonsense handed down from on high that has little to do with the real world. In fact they are a valiant attempt by a team of smart guys to describe in just one book how to make every conceivable electrical installation safe, efficient, durable, easy to understand and work on, compatible with other trades and technologies and yet economically viable to install. It's a hugely complicated balancing act, writing regulations. Trying to reconcile the needs of electricians, manufacturers, legislators, insurers... all of whom have differing priorities. Every reg is both a part of an overall system and a specific thing in its own right, and its benefits should outweigh its costs. If he considers this framework, he might like to ponder how such a reg as he suggests could make both engineering and commercial sense...
that's a bit of along-windedway of saying that he's tallking bollox.

But it explains not only that it is bollox, but why it's bollox and how to recognise (his) bollox in the future.

Quite agree Andy. He says you would have to add another consumer unit, but then what colour cable would you use from the original CU?? Or use red/black or rewire the house! I know, I know I've explained that this is nonsense but he keeps saying it's in the regs!! I'm sure it'll all be cleared up when he cant find it in the regs and then I can have a good smirk.

Not a plumber but a fairly intelligent chap. I personally think he has either misunderstood his tutor or his tutor has somehow got it wrong, hopefully the former.

I don't understand his thinking with this one anyway - the wiring connecting to the other consumer unit would have to have the 'wrong' colours in relation to one or other consumer unit, so it still wouldn't end up correct in his terms. I would put money on him winding you up :) Daz

Don't be so hard...usually,by the time week 3 is reached,they're getting the hang of it...:lips2:

The colours job is subjective...red,white and blue...forty years of blue/gold...back to red,white and blue...no probs.

I don't understand his thinking with this one anyway - the wiring connecting to the other consumer unit would have to have the 'wrong' colours in relation to one or other consumer unit, so it still wouldn't end up correct in his terms. I would put money on him winding you up :) Daz

No problem, just have two SP 100a mains blocks in the middle to connect the 'right' colours from each board together. :p

On a slightly related note if I do anything to an existing switch that has the old colours and no sleeve on the black,yellow or blue I'll put a bit of red sleeve on,not brown. Still have a few yards of that left. :D

Reply to Discussion regarding mixed colours in CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net