Discuss Dishwasher Tripping RCD! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted a little advise as my dishwasher is tripping my rcd only when its first turned on. When I reset the RCD it doesn't trip again and the dishwasher does its cycle. It only ever trips in the very beginning (30 secs or so) of starting the dishwasher.

The dishwasher is touching a copper gas pipe at the rear, would this cause the RCD to trip? Otherwise maybe the dishwasher is faulty but it is brand new.

Many Thanks.

The dishwasher is faulty. It will be earthed so it touching a (also earthed) copper gas pipe will not cause this problem.

Yoda says “ Replacement dishwasher you need”.

Did you used to have an appliance plugged into the same socket?

If so any similar problems?

It may be a faulty dishwasher, it could be a N to earth fault somewhere apparently unconnected

How old is it?

Yeah, almost certainly going faulty, you'll probably find the tripping occurs more frequently as time goes on. First thing I'd do is unplug it, pull it out and check underneath it for any signs of water leaks. If it's got easily removable panels I'd take them off and look everywhere for leaks.

If it's more than a few years old and the tripping fault gets worse with no obvious signs of leaks I'd probably ---- it and get a new one.

The dishwasher is touching a copper gas pipe at the rear, would this cause the RCD to trip? Otherwise maybe the dishwasher is faulty but it is brand new.

Many Thanks.

How old is it?

Yeah, almost certainly going faulty, you'll probably find the tripping occurs more frequently as time goes on. First thing I'd do is unplug it, pull it out and check underneath it for any signs of water leaks. If it's got easily removable panels I'd take them off and look everywhere for leaks.

If it's more than a few years old and the tripping fault gets worse with no obvious signs of leaks I'd probably ---- it and get a new one.

Many thanks for all the replies, Since posting this thread the dishwasher hasn't tripped once!! ?

But I'll try a different plug socket if it happens again and hopefully this will confirm if its a faulty dishwasher.

Reply to Dishwasher Tripping RCD! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net