Discuss Diversity and Showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No need for the 60A fuse, take it out of the equation. 2 off 100A connector blocks (much nicer to work with than a Henley block), keep the double insulation inside the JBs, no need to box them. Job done.

No need for the 60A fuse, take it out of the equation. 2 off 100A connector blocks (much nicer to work with than a Henley block), keep the double insulation inside the JBs, no need to box them. Job done.

So you have checked the cable calcs and the Zs etc then have you?

And what do you mean by 100A connector blocks? I've not seen them before but they sound dodgy! How exactly do you terminate SWA into them without the need for an enclosure?

And what do you mean by 100A connector blocks? I've not seen them before but they sound dodgy! How exactly do you terminate SWA into them without the need for an enclosure?

Cable calcs have been dealt with by earlier posters, no need to repeat.

Thanks for reminding me the incoming cable is SWA, which of course needs correct termination.

A link to those dodgy connector blocks (but not my supplier!):

100A Single Pole Tails Connector Box - Single Pole

Cable calcs have been dealt with by earlier posters, no need to repeat.

Thanks for reminding me the incoming cable is SWA, which of course needs correct termination.

A link to those dodgy connector blocks (but not my supplier!):

100A Single Pole Tails Connector Box - Single Pole

They are single pole Henley blocks, you said they were a better alternative to Henley blocks !

Cable calcs haven't been dealt with, there have been no details as to any apical rating factors yet.

They are single pole Henley blocks, you said they were a better alternative to Henley blocks !
Since they are made by Click I don't really suppose they are Henley blocks at all!

Horses & courses, but I find it easier to fit 25mm tails into these than the double decker ones, especially if there are already existing tails terminated.

Cable Calcs - too much wine, I don't do calcs after drinking ;-)

'Henley block' is a common term for what would be better described as a 'service connector block' also known as Lucy, ESCO or mains blocks.
All available in single or double pole versions

But by the same token we all know what is meant when someone says Hoover, Henley block, megger, spanset, bulb etc
They have become common names for a type of product.

isn,t there types of switches that prevent two showers being run at the same time ??

There are, but there is no need for such fancy nonsense in this case.

2x electric showers + normal domestic loading won't bother an 80A fuse for a good few hours.
Probably won't bother a 60A fuse for quite a while either but then it will probably become 'tired' after a while

This is exactly the sort of answer I am after. 2 electric showers in a house is a common enough occurence(there were 2 in my last house , and I expect many of these setups are running on 60A fuses in the cutouts)

My feeling is that it is very unlikely that the 60 will ever blow. It will be a rare occurence for the 2 showers to be running at the same time. However being a newbie 'tired' fuses are not something I have come across.

However, as it will be relatively easy to remove the 60A from the equation I think I will do this and fit the second shower.

However,

isn,t there types of switches that prevent two showers being run at the same time ??

Ok so it's not been replaced with a link then, why didn't you gland the SWA directly onto the CU when you replaced it? Far better than having the unnecessary switchfuse left in place!

And how about that Zs on the submain?

3 flats supplies pass through my cellar and it was not possible for the swa to reach the new CU. Can't remember the Zs of the top of my head, but it was extremely close to the Ze of 0.31.

Andy as a self admitted 5week wonder I normally don't have the time for you and your fast track rip of courses hence you are here asking what would be a basic question BUT!!!! as you have served our country and possibly put yourself in a position that many on here could never imagine I'll find plenty of time for you...

Going slightly off tangent I would recommend you find a job as an Electricians mate for a few years, this will give you vital experience in our real world and give you a guide for all your questions and any corrections to your work.

My input on this thread is nothing more but only my hat off to you for doing a service while most of the benefit scroungers out there think life owes them a living :welcome:
Its clear from Marvo's input that you will have been slated and got a lot of negative comments but I put it to them to commit their own services to this country as you have!
Any future questions you have I'll be happy to help a man of your background!.... regardless of the Electrical Trainee status :icon12:

Last edited:
Andy as a self admitted 5week wonder I normally don't have the time for you and your fast track rip of courses hence you are here asking what would be a basic question BUT!!!! as you have served our country and possibly put yourself in a position that many on here could never imagine I'll find plenty of time for you...

Going slightly off tangent I would recommend you find a job as an Electricians mate for a few years, this will give you vital experience in our real world and give you a guide for all your questions and any corrections to your work.

My input on this thread is nothing more but only my hat off to you for doing a service while most of the benefit scroungers out there think life owes them a living :welcome:
Its clear from Marvo's input that you will have been slated and got a lot of negative comments but I put it to them to commit their own services to this country as you have!
Any future questions you have I'll be happy to help a man of your background!.... regardless of the Electrical Trainee status :icon12:

Cheers for the advice darkwood. But I have no intention of being an electricians mate at 42 years old. Having worked with electrical gear on ships for many years and having served an engineering apprenticeship I have a reasonsble electrical knowledge and although I am not experienced in this particular field, an average domestic setup is pretty basic, so I can't see there being much to trouble me. I am long enough in the tooth not to work on something I do not feel capable of and not comprimise myself.

Now that's the way to do it .... run your electric showers off somebody else's supply :)

I must admit......... But, my electric needs aren't that bad, I don't have a cannabis farm in the cellar just yet. Then again, the cut-out they didn't seal when moving the meters on which the meter man hasn't commented on twice.

JOKING

Cheers for the advice darkwood. But I have no intention of being an electricians mate at 42 years old. Having worked with electrical gear on ships for many years and having served an engineering apprenticeship I have a reasonsble electrical knowledge and although I am not experienced in this particular field, an average domestic setup is pretty basic, so I can't see there being much to trouble me. I am long enough in the tooth not to work on something I do not feel capable of and not comprimise myself.

And on that note, ...I rest my case!!

That, ....it is the typical response of a electrical trainee. You've done your 5 weeks so don't need to work as a mate, and nothing much to domestic installations. In your own mind you're now fully qualified!! Right?? ...lol!!

I have worked as a Royal Navy engineer for the last 22 years, all hands on, and for the last 16 years as head of my own engineering section maintaining and fault finding on a variety of electrical systems.

Certainly the houses I have lived in have had quite simple electrical installations.

I feel qualified to work in most domestic situations. I am well aware that I will come up against situations that I have never before experienced, however my entire career has been filled with situations like that and research inevitably solves the problem.

Where research does not work, I will come on this forum and ask. If I do not feel competent to complete work after all this then I will not attempt it.

Unfortunately, there is not much call for Weapon Engineers in Portsmouth without the company inevitably taking pension monies into account when determining payscales, so I have decided to branch out and do something related but slightly different.

I'd appreciate it if you would stay off any threads I start in future unless it is to provide a reasoned answer to the original question. I believe your last (kindly deleted by Marvo) was "Are you mad" with no reasoning whatsoever.

Elevating oneself on an anonymous forum is an easy thing to do, perhaps you should step down off the pedestal you have created for yourself.

I have no need to elevate myself as you put it. I will comment on any thread as i see fit, as you or anyone else here can....

Not too sure how being an ex weapons engineer on a navy ship has any correlation with being a domestic electrician, but as you say, you feel qualified so you must be right!!

Reply to Diversity and Showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net