Discuss Diversity and Showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not too sure how being an ex weapons engineer on a navy ship has any correlation with being a domestic electrician, but as you say, you feel qualified so you must be right!!

You have to admit though, E54, that weapons engineer is likely to be better preparation for being an electrician than if he were a shelf stacker or hairdresser?

BTW, I'm not saying that there isn't a lot to learn, even after becoming 'fully qualified' (whatever your definition of that is).

You have to admit though, E54, that weapons engineer is likely to be better preparation for being an electrician than if he were a shelf stacker or hairdresser?

Maybe, but then you can say the same about all these IT installers, and other vaguely associated professions/trades, it doesn't make them electricians domestic or otherwise does it.

Maybe, but then you can say the same about all these IT installers, and other vaguely associated professions/trades, it doesn't make them electricians domestic or otherwise does it.

And still waiting for a well reasoned answer to the original question.

I am happy for you to find me "mad" for what I proposed but please indicate why. This is where your experience would help, by providing examples and reasoned statements.

The way I see it Andy you are well experienced and knowledged in a select area of Electrical Engineering but will have little if any experience as a domestic Electrician qualified or not, Ive had many apprentices from many backgrounds and regardless of previous related or unrelated experiences they all had to learn the basics from scratch with onsite help, having said this you have an edge in understanding Electrics but what I don't understand is why housebashing, this has no relationship to the field you were in. You would be more suited to joining a company of Electrical Engineers and working alongside a seasoned Engineer in the Industrial sector until you ground your feet - better suited, better money, better prospects and key is a shortage in this sector but whatever way you turn you will need guidance onsite or you will find yourself in this situe on a regular basis.

Note - Its advice not a way to belittle what you already know but you also have to realise what you spent 20yrs doing may now be irrelevent as you chose a strange unrelated direction, yes you may be comfortable more than some in aspects of it but you still have a lot of regulations to learn and not just Electrical but Building reg's too and this is a steep hill if your climbing it alone.

Take it as constructive advice and not a personal attack which you seem to be doing.

Just my two penn'th and speaking from my experience only.

My background as an electrician is having being "brought up" in commercial and light industrial installation. First a labourer, then a mate, then a fully qualified electrician. I had about a decade in experience in total when I went on my own as a self employed sole trader, however I had never worked in a domestic situation at all. I did not feel confident to go and start bashing about in customer's homes as it was simply an area I had zero experience in.
I had no qualms whatsoever in subbing to a mate of mine who had done domestic work all his career. I did this to shadow him to gain a bit of experience in domestic work so I could go into my own customer's houses knowing I could now provide the best job possible. I didn't feel belittled or daft and certainly learnt a heck of a lot in doing so.

Darkwood and Andy I may have not represented myself clearly. I wish to be semi-retired as I have pension and investments to back me up. This would not sit well with working for someone else. Nor would it sit with starting an engineering job. I see 'house bashing' as you call it as something to occupy me, and hopefully bring in a bit of extra cash from. And I like the idea of being my own boss, albeit this might not be an ideal route to take. The course I did was very short I admit, but it did not teach me anything new electrically. Obviously the wiring and building regs were new to me but pretty easy to get your head around. If something seems beyond me I will research, will not be attempting anything that I could be unsafe at.

It's not just the electrical knowledge, there are various practical skills you need to have to be able to do a decent overall job.

That is a very fair point Dave, and of course the area where experience counts for a lot. I am aware that this will probably be my biggest challenge. Maybe even to extent of having a practice in my own home prior to attempting something in a customers house if I have never completed it before. I do have a fair amount of hand-skill and have always been a competent DIYer so hopefully that will help a bit.

That is a very fair point Dave, and of course the area where experience counts for a lot. I am aware that this will probably be my biggest challenge. Maybe even to extent of having a practice in my own home prior to attempting something in a customers house if I have never completed it before. I do have a fair amount of hand-skill and have always been a competent DIYer so hopefully that will help a bit.

Absolutely and the worst part is sorting out the mess of DIY dave!

And still waiting for a well reasoned answer to the original question.

I am happy for you to find me "mad" for what I proposed but please indicate why. This is where your experience would help, by providing examples and reasoned statements.

And here's your answer.... Why would you need two 10KW showers in a flat?? Why not two 8KW showers if you really need two?? As you already have a gas supply for heating, Why not invest in a system that CAN run showers and store hot water??

I have a 4.6 KW shower here (no gas, except bottled gas for cooking) and that unit gives more than enough hot water in the coldest of weathers (not uncommon for temperatures to drop to -10C here in winter)...
Never had nor wanted an electric shower in the UK ever, and certainly not a shower rated at anything near 10 KW!! So as a i said Madness!! ...lol!!

And here's your answer.... Why would you need two 10KW showers in a flat?? Why not two 8KW showers if you really need two?? As you already have a gas supply for heating, Why not invest in a system that CAN run showers and store hot water??

I have a 4.6 KW shower here (no gas, except bottled gas for cooking) and that unit gives more than enough hot water in the coldest of weathers (not uncommon for temperatures to drop to -10C here in winter)...
Never had nor wanted an electric shower in the UK ever, and certainly not a shower rated at anything near 10 KW!! So as a i said Madness!! ...lol!!

One word... Cost.

I am well agreed that electric showers are poor compared to gas powered off the boiler, but they suffice and an electric shower is much cheaper than a new gas boiler. 2 showers are required as the missus is fed up with baths(the lodger has the first shower in her en-suite). And since we are having a second not much difference between 8kw and 10kw but the missus wants 10.

My question was though.. Will the 60A fuse suffice considering it's very rare the showers will be run at the same time, and not are electric showers any good. I have decided anyway that as it's so easy to remove the 60a I will, and will be on an 80a after the shower install.

I did say ''Invest''.... In the long run, gas is going to be a far better option than running two 10 KW showers. Still not convinced that anyone needs 10 KW or more showers, they are energy wasters at best...

Still not convinced that anyone needs 10 KW or more showers, they are energy wasters at best...

Its usually just cause the women want one and there is no talking them out of it. Usually best just to do it and have an easy life then get grief every time they have a shower.

I did say ''Invest''.... In the long run, gas is going to be a far better option than running two 10 KW showers. Still not convinced that anyone needs 10 KW or more showers, they are energy wasters at best...

I can' t be bothered to work out how many years the 'investment' would take to pay for itself. But I think I could safely hazard not within the expected lifespan of the new boiler. The one benefit of a crap electric shower is that you're in and out quite quickly.

I can' t be bothered to work out how many years the 'investment' would take to pay for itself. But I think I could safely hazard not within the expected lifespan of the new boiler. The one benefit of a crap electric shower is that you're in and out quite quickly.

You obviously haven't had the pleasure of teenage daughters taking over the bathroom then, or you wouldn't be saying that!! lol!!

One word... Cost.

I am well agreed that electric showers are poor compared to gas powered off the boiler, but they suffice and an electric shower is much cheaper than a new gas boiler. 2 showers are required as the missus is fed up with baths(the lodger has the first shower in her en-suite). And since we are having a second not much difference between 8kw and 10kw but the missus wants 10.

My question was though.. Will the 60A fuse suffice considering it's very rare the showers will be run at the same time, and not are electric showers any good. I have decided anyway that as it's so easy to remove the 60a I will, and will be on an 80a after the shower install.

hum... changing the DNO fuse value?? Not sure you should be contemplating that!

Reply to Diversity and Showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net