Discuss Diy extension lead 2.5mm twin &earth? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you saying the OP intentionally ignored post #5 and when reminded about it he spat his dummy out, sacked off our advice and is currently making the best extension lead ever?????
Reckon you have it nailed Spoon, as for making the best extension lead, could be wrong but I bet he's looking for his dummy.

@Yam man you have asked on here regards your plans to supply power to a location. The people who have replied probably equal a couple of centuries experience and knowledge. You do not seem to agree with them! Why? And why even bother asking when you have your own agenda and plans which you are going ahead with in the face of good advice?

If the cable and socket were permanently mounted to the wall then this would be no different to any other fixed wiring, but putting a 13a plug on the other end is the issue. As others have stated they are not designed to have solid core t&e terminated into them. And you can't guarantee that the plug won't be pulled out every time you want to use the original socket that it is plugged into, bending the T&E at the same point every time (the first cable clip) until it snaps.

Hi guys not spitting dummy out or making lead I work on call been a mechanic recovery. I know that the twin earth cable isn't correct for extension and yes I know yous guys have ALOT more experience etc then me at this voltage I'm used to 12v. So go easy. My plan is to make this as semi permanent as possible the plug will NEVER be removed AT ALL until the day I move or it isn't going to be used again. NO ONE apart from me goes down there as my family don't like my reptile collection. I'm not stupid and have some knowledge of electrics. I have supplied my outbuildings with electric from my cu in house. Also have permanently linked up my lazy spa hottub. I just wanted opinions on why and if this way of extension lead is dangerous. Thanks

And as for insurance? I'm in rented property hence why I haven't made it any more permanent. Without been silly guys is there any real danger with my plan all cable will be clipped direct never moved and only carry 300w VERY MAX? not worried bout insurance company they never pay out anyway.

Thanks have decided to just use 2.5mm twin earth and just take a 13amp fused spur from that socket and run the cable clipped direct 5 metres to skirting board same as I was going to but instead of a plug on end ill just put it into the rear of the supply socket. Does this sound better?

Thanks have decided to just use 2.5mm twin earth and just take a 13amp fused spur from that socket and run the cable clipped direct 5 metres to skirting board same as I was going to but instead of a plug on end ill just put it into the rear of the supply socket. Does this sound better?
You will need to find out if the socket you intend connecting to is on a Ring Final Circuit RFC or a Radial circuit, if it's on a RFC then it will need to be in the ring and not a spur from the ring, if it's a spur then you will need to add a fused spur outlet before you wire to your new socket, suitably fused down of course. It's not just 3 wires is it?

This is a wind up, or you have a brain the size of a flees --------....

And as for insurance? I'm in rented property hence why I haven't made it any more permanent....
... not worried bout insurance company they never pay out anyway.

Hmmm... that sounds like a mature, responsible attitude toward someone else's property that's been entrusted to you.
Perhaps share those thoughts with your landlord?
If any of my tenants took that stance, they'd quickly be homeless.

The socket I'm spurring off has 2 sets of twinandearth already in the rear of faceplate that's running from main cu on 32amp mcb that has a 80amp 30ma rcd protection on that curcuit to this socket im going to spur from which leads onto my conservatory sockets etc.

The socket I'm spurring off has 2 sets of twinandearth already in the rear of faceplate that's running from main cu on 32amp mcb that has a 80amp 30ma rcd protection on that curcuit to this socket im going to spur from which leads onto my conservatory sockets etc.
That proves nothing.

Old boy John Wayne took my horse that's real cowboy. Thanks for all you're sensible suggestions. Decided to just use wife's stocking with sockets on both ends and take notice of members of homeownershub forums who seem to be more helpful rather then criticise now have extension and it hasn't set fire yet

I wonder if these pants will suit me...
upload_2018-2-20_15-2-9.png

Reply to Diy extension lead 2.5mm twin &earth? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net