Discuss Diy extension lead 2.5mm twin &earth? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Old boy John Wayne took my horse that's real cowboy. Thanks for all you're sensible suggestions. Decided to just use wife's stocking with sockets on both ends and take notice of members of homeownershub forums who seem to be more helpful rather then criticise now have extension and it hasn't set fire yet
"Yet" being the opperative word. Home owners hub may seem more helpful, but how sure can you be that the info given by said Forum is the correct information?
On a personal note I have given what I consider good electrical advice and information, if you choose to ignore that advice then the onus is on you, you must have realised by now that the advice you have been given, in most parts has been given in good faith, so by all means take advice from others, but be assured that any advice I have given has been correct and unbiased, I wish you luck, and please don't trip over that dodgy extention lead you intend to install.

Gone from home made extension lead to clipped direct possibly becoming radial or spur from existing circuit?? It might work but isnt kosher under the regs.
Got to agree with you there the installation method has now changed to a fixed installation.

I'm just gutted no one has answered my question in post #40.. :sob:

You only need to state I'm fat once mate... Or am I that fat that it needs drumming in... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

It won't do. It's completely the wrong cable and wholly inappropriate for this application. Non-flexible cable isn't suitable for extension leads. Also it cannot be fitted into plugtops. Also plugtops are not designed to accept anything larger than 1.5mm^2. This is non-compliant with BS1363.
Indeed plugtops have no terminals. Only plugs do.

Its Spring! Time to plant the bulbs - GU10 MR16 GU5.3 G4 and a sprinkling of G9s - I love this time of year.
Yawn!

Indeed plugtops have no terminals. Only plugs do.
So, George, what's a plug top? is the the top of the plug? or something completely different?13 amp plug tops - Google pretraga - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=13+amp+plug+tops&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=94eRWrq5EszHXtmOjMgP
All the plugs/plug tops I have connected up, and that will be many thousands, have 3 terminals L,N, and E have I been connecting these things up all these years? Perhaps if I went into a hardware shop and asked for a plug what would they give me a thing to stick in the sink to stop the water escaping, and how would I connect it up? a bit of chain presumably, as far as I and many other electricians are concerned a plug is summat for the Bath or sink. and a plug top is summat you join wires to make it work. Just saying.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. But why can't this 1.5mm twin and earth be used? as from the socket it will be clipped direct to skirting then the metal back box (secured onto piece of wood) would be screwed direct to the wall just above skirting in the basement the metal faceplate will obviously need earth lead and sheathed. It will never be moved unless being removed all together. Now without all the "buy a lead it's only couple pound"etc remarks can anyone advise me why this is unsafe dangerous etc? Yes I'm bothered saving couple quid and I'm not wasting cash on items that I can make with leftover crap in my lock up. Thanks for any info etc
Well you seem to know best so why ask in the first place?

Well you seem to know best so why ask in the first place?
Yes because Twin and cpc cable, is not designed for use as an extension lead, to be more precise for fixed wiring, although you intend to fix your makeshift dangerous extension lead to the skirting, you will be hard pressed to describe it as fixed wiring.

So, George, what's a plug top? is the the top of the plug? or something completely different?13 amp plug tops - Google pretraga - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=13+amp+plug+tops&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=94eRWrq5EszHXtmOjMgP
All the plugs/plug tops I have connected up, and that will be many thousands, have 3 terminals L,N, and E have I been connecting these things up all these years? Perhaps if I went into a hardware shop and asked for a plug what would they give me a thing to stick in the sink to stop the water escaping, and how would I connect it up? a bit of chain presumably, as far as I and many other electricians are concerned a plug is summat for the Bath or sink. and a plug top is summat you join wires to make it work. Just saying.

A plug top is the top or cover of the plug. Pure simple English.

It goes without saying that those websites you Googled are wrong.
All the plugs you have connected up may have 3 terminals (I'm surprised you have never come across 2 pin or multi pin plugs). I doubt if you have ever come across plug tops with terminals.
There are indeed plugs for sinks, and there are plugs for electrical sockets, but any electrician who thinks a plug top is something you join wires to is ignorant.

A plug top is the top or cover of the plug. Pure simple English.

It goes without saying that those websites you Googled are wrong.
All the plugs you have connected up may have 3 terminals (I'm surprised you have never come across 2 pin or multi pin plugs). I doubt if you have ever come across plug tops with terminals.
There are indeed plugs for sinks, and there are plugs for electrical sockets, but any electrician who thinks a plug top is something you join wires to is ignorant.
Is that right? you seem to be calling a lot of Electricians Ignorant, time for the ignore button methinks.

Reply to Diy extension lead 2.5mm twin &earth? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net