• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Do I have to work away in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ive just been asked by my boss to work away mon-fri. There has been no info about what were doin or where we're stopping or anything. We don't ever work away and when I started asking him about it he didn't answer my questions and was moaning at me. Do I have to go and can he make me go or can I say I don't want to.

You could just say no and he'll get someone else permanently. Have a read of your contract, it may state in there what your obligation is for working away.

I work away month to month and so know it can be a pain, but the 28th/29th of the month makes it all worth while, and it will for you

Not sure why your boss was so evasive about all this, and as Strima said have a look at your contract and see if he can ask you to do this. Bottom line it might be your boss was have a mare of a day, and perhaps later or tomorrow he might be a little more receptive

That's just what my boss is like. I've got my son to look after too on sum evenings so can't really do it. Just wanted to make sure he couldn't try sack me over it or anything

He cant sack you no but he could do what happened to me... I didnt want to work away and told him i couldnt one week then a couple of months later a meeting arose for me and my boss.

I have been to one of your jobs, and the screw in the DB wasnt tight enough, and we have had a customer complaint (this customer was his best mate).. Your sacked

Be carefull thats all i can say 1 week away from your kid is better than losing your job in time and struggling to pay to look after your kid

If he lives alone and you see a tent in the back of his van - pack yer gaffer tape!......Seriously,front him up on the details if you have reason not to be away from home,he may not be fully briefed by his customer.With the possible deadly risks involved in the job you share,trust is a must.

As others have said you need to read your contract, that will( should) specify what your terms and conditions are and whether there is a requirement to work away. ( I have to say that it's fairly common practice in this trade) If it does require you to work away it should specify travel and lodging payments etc. If not it is entirely reasonable for you to ask. You did not say when this is to be, next week, next month and for how long. Whether he can dismiss you if you refuse is all down to the wording of the contract and if what he is asking of you is reasonable i.e. how much notice is he giving you etc given that you do not normally work away. To be on the safe side whatever the contract says I'd approach any potential refusal( should that be what you choose to do) in a diplomatic way as Axel is not wrong, he may wait to find another excuse if he's so minded. Good luck..working away under some circumstances is not that bad, but it does depend on your personal commitments.

I had a look at my last contract which states:
“Your normal place of work will be XXXX. You may at times be required to attend other works within the group. If it is so required you will be given adequate notice. In the event of this causing problems with your home life the company will try to find a way to resolve the problem”. On one trip to London I took the wife, the company paid for her as well. She was pregnant and didn’t want to be left alone.
To be honest I enjoyed going to other works, but most of my trips though would be on training courses. Having to wheel the boss back to the hotel in a shopping trolley was funny. Never been put in a bad hotel and been given an entertainment allowance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I phoned a company regarding a vacancy. The job entailed me to be working closely with the boss in the office. The answer on the other end was "Yes, what do you want?"
I could hear a woman on the other end say, "Don't be rude to prospective clients"
Needless to say, I didn't go for the interview.
The terms and conditions are all....

I'll admit from the off that my view on working away is coloured by having spent a life on the road touring, which still continues to this day just in a reduced capacity. I can pack an overnight bag in about 30secs in my sleep!

My advice would be to see it as an opportunity both to get/see somewhere, have a laugh with the lads over a pie and pint in the evening (that the boss had paid for) and a fry-up in the morning.

YES - you need to talk to your boss and explain that you have some domestic considerations with childcare so you can't just leave things to the 11th hour, you need to know in order to make some plans.

Just to put a bit of perspective on this....... our eastern european cousins have travelled many hundreds of miles to these shores to find and get work - isn't it a bit arrogant and lazy to put up a fight over a couple of simple nights away and then moan about how they've taken all the work???????????

You don't have to do anything you don't want to

Unless its in the contract you signed, presuming you have one.

The questions to ask:

Where
When
How long for
Who is paying for the travel
Who is paying for the accomodation
What is the evening meal allowance
What is the breakfast allowance

And if you're expected to pay, how does he want you to submit your "bills"

You don't have to do anything you don't want to.
Your boss doesn't have to employ someone who's not willing to help him out once in a while.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to.
Your boss doesn't have to employ someone who's not willing to help him out once in a while.

he never said he was not willing too,he has responsibilities like we all have,he needs to work with his boss to work around these for the benefit of both,not be subject to threats of dont do as i say and i'll sack you..theres laws against that..

Reply to Do I have to work away in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back