Discuss Do you think this is safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Daz134

-
Reaction score
I am planing on doing the following can anyone confirm if its safe

I'm going to install a ring door bell pro.

It needs 16-24vac to run and comes with a 16-24vad din rail transformer.

This is just no practical for me to use the din transformer souktion because the existing doorbell cable for the door push goes to the original chime in the hall way which is a long way from the consumer untit. Its also int the middle of the wall so can't swap the existing chime for a new unit to house the din transformer.

So my solution is this

I purchased a 18vac 1amp plug in adaptor.

I'm going to cut the end off the adaptor and run it up in to the chime box.

I'm then going to connect the adaptor to the two bells wires so it sends power from the plug adaptor in to the bell wires too the doorbell.

I'm not going to connect the chime I'm just using that to house the connection

Is this safe.

I tested the voltage and its showing as 20vac even though its a 18vac adaptor but can take a load of 24 vac

The power adaptor gets warm but would expect that

Do you think its safe

As its only like using the ac adaptor to power the doorbell which you can buy and can be done but I'm using the bell wire to carry the load to the doorbell it's self

Any help would be appricated

Hi ,the only concern would be that the plug in adapter,may not be rated for continuous service,which would preclude any ok from a forum:)
I know folk leave them in,24/7,just mentioning it.

Have you given it a try?

What’s all the fuss with these hard wired door bells?Can appreciate it if you have fancy CCTV and entry-phone but for a standard bing bong? My last place and current I’ve used battery door push and remote plug in chime. Really handy. Just stick the bell push on the door with a bit of blue tack. :cool:

Reply to Do you think this is safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net