Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What would you use?
If it is not inverter driven than CY or it’s equivalent polyurethane coated version.
for a stationary motor, singles in conduit would be fine (tri rated)

edit, I did not mean CY, I meant YY. Oops, CY is screened similar to Sy and not required unless there is an emc issue.

Last edited:
If it is not inverter driven than CY or it’s equivalent polyurethane coated version.
for a stationary motor, singles in conduit would be fine (tri rated)

edit, I did not mean CY, I meant YY. Oops, CY is screened similar to Sy and not required unless there is an emc issue.

That’s my point. You did not know the application so unsure why you stated it was not fit for purpose.

What would you use?
One that is recognised by British standards

SY, CY and YY cables are not manufactured to a specific British, European or international standard so in most cases it is not possible to demonstrate the performance safety standards required to satisfy the Wiring Regulations.

I would say 90% of times I have come across braided style cables they have not been installed using the correct glands.
Near every time they have been installed like the picture using a stuffing galnd Or no gland at all

One that is recognised by British standards

SY, CY and YY cables are not manufactured to a specific British, European or international standard so in most cases it is not possible to demonstrate the performance safety standards required to satisfy the Wiring Regulations.

Again, you are making the assumption that it was used in a fixed installation. 7671 does not apply here.

2 responses of complete rubbish here…

Surprised by this TBH.

I would say 90% of times I have come across braided style cables they have not been installed using the correct glands.
Is there a 'correct' gland for this stuff? I've never installed any of it, but have performed maintenance and repair on installations using it, and the only glands I've come across are standard stuffing ones.

as an example

as an example
For EMC compliance, the braid needs (should) be taken back to the source (drive)

So I’m calling out -------- again unless these are intended to terminate onto the gland plate of the drive (which most don’t have).

Also these use pigtails, also VERY poor for EMC compliance.

Sorry…

20mm Brass SY Multiflex Gland Kit - IP66 - 2 Glands (Small)​

Product Code: SY CXT20S
Cable Accessories
slide 1 of 1
SY CXT20S product image

This is the kind of gland I was thinking about

Is there a 'correct' gland for this stuff? I've never installed any of it, but have performed maintenance and repair on installations using it, and the only glands I've come across are standard stuffing ones.
Yes there are various types of gland available which connect the braided shield by various means. Some required the braid to be pigtailed and clamped in a slot in the gland while others work more like an SWA gland.

Stuffing glands can also be the correct gland depending on the application.

For some installations the braiding will need to be connected to earth at one end of the cable and isolated at the other end.

Again, you are making the assumption that it was used in a fixed installation. 7671 does not apply here.

2 responses of complete rubbish here…

Surprised by this TBH.
I haven't made any assumptions as to what YOU used it for, I said that I basically wouldn't use it.

The uncertainty is how much you might rely on the braid either as a CPC or as an earthed 'armour' to allow routing out of a 'safe' zone. Now the braid resistance of all but the shortest length is not really low enough for a CPC on its own, (the braid resistance is not a well controlled parameter) and rather like cables protected by thin foils, there is a risk that if the cable was stabbed by a nail or similar, that the braid wires might just burn back from the point nearest the damage without actually blowing a fuse. So if you want to route it 'out of zone' into places where nail and screw damage is likely, especially without RCD protection, then perhaps it is not enough.

The IET's supporting guidance states: “For the purposes of ensuring compliance with BS 7671, the installation and use of non-standard cables, such as SY, CY and YY cables is discouraged.

Last edited:
Now I know this one may not count as it was in Spain, and everyone knows the quality of the electrical work over there but this was on a main public street on the main road into town

Thats my daughter in the picture

I had to have a look in the cupboard didnt I! as it was wide open and im never off duty! : )

Looks like a three phase connection with the cover open, terminals accessible to any no. of small inquisitive hands

Unbelievable! It was humming so obviously live

Shut the door and tried to wedge it, told the reception staff in the hotel they couldnt give a monkeys

That would be unforgivable in the UK

Attachments

• IMG_4606.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4607.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4608.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4609.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I just came back from Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and Italy…. And didn’t see anything as dumb as that.

France and Spain seem to be the worst for dodgy electrics…. But I’m not that well travelled. Just my observations.

I just came back from Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and Italy…. And didn’t see anything as dumb as that.

France and Spain seem to be the worst for dodgy electrics…. But I’m not that well travelled. Just my observations.
I'm worried we're catching them up, fast.

From extensive time/travel in Spain I have to agree that some of the stuff "on the street" is highly accessible and dangerous. Some installations are downright funny too! Street boxes without lids are commonplace and in many places the supplies for every imagineable use are simply various cables bundled up with cable-ties and hung on the outside walls just above head-height.TBH, I've not heard of many deaths caused by such sloppy electrics.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock