Discuss Domestic consumer upgrades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah, the blacklisting idea raises all sorts of issues around data protection. You would have to declare that you may share your clients data with other trades people and as such you'd become a data controller under the GDPR which brings with it a shed load of baggage.

In most cases, if you're sensible, you'll just use your clients data for processing their orders and emailing them occasionally (if they elect to receive mailings from you) and nothing more.

Thanks for the comments.
I know over heads differ but still minimums need to be agreed.
My local area has Ssi funded competitors which enables them to undercut unfunded people like us.
When their funding runs out they will struggle to balance the books.
The Blacklist could be done on a local basis with a national list to reduce serial non payers impact.This list would need to have proof of non payment evidence etc.
Lets have minimum rates.
The £50 guy can't certify so maybe we should only certify jobs with proven legitimacy and weasel out these non tax payers .

Yes I get the idea,this needs to be a provided service by Napit or Niec etc,maybe its a new business idea for some clever person,I would use it.
I generally can sus a customer but sometimes they are pro blaggers.

The £50 guy can't certify so maybe we should only certify jobs with proven legitimacy and weasel out these non tax payers .

The issue is, the average customer has little to no idea about notifying building control and zero clue about what paperwork they should be getting from us.

If they general public were properly clued up, it may help but there will always be those willing to forgo a little paperwork to save a few quid.

It's an admirable idea but it's simply not possible to align all sparks pricing because everyone's circumstances are different. Consider an example...

A client has asked me to change 6 light fittings. I know there are no issues that require attention on the circuit because I've already inspected the property as part of my repairs that were required following a small electrical fire. How long would you quote for that task?

Hi - my smallest quote for that would likely be 2 hours.

How would you quote if you were expecting wiring issues? I've been told neighbours have tried to change light fittings and have experienced big problems with zero slack on the cables.

I should perhaps have made my statement about no issue clearer... electrically there are no issues, but practically I don't know.

I don't consider myself slow, but I don't think I could maintain 20 minutes per fitting on any light swap job.

Yes, I agree it's fast. But that's minimum for swapping pendants say. Having been caught out (ACM, CPC and now there's RCD rules) so I won't guesstimate lighting jobs without seeing them. A small local wiring extension / tidy up is MF box and 15 minutes labour. If plasterboard holes required to access cables, another 15 minutes to remove and replace with baton and screws. Pack, unpack, clean and certify all ++ . Just my r.o.t. :) .

The issue is, the average customer has little to no idea about notifying building control and zero clue about what paperwork they should be getting from us.

If they general public were properly clued up, it may help but there will always be those willing to forgo a little paperwork to save a few quid.

It's an admirable idea but it's simply not possible to align all sparks pricing because everyone's circumstances are different. Consider an example...

A client has asked me to change 6 light fittings. I know there are no issues that require attention on the circuit because I've already inspected the property as part of my repairs that were required following a small electrical fire. How long would you quote for that task?
I would price it at £160 ...4 hours. However, we all know too well the current trend in customers providing really nice looking light fittings that take more time to assemble then install. Manufacturers put more time into designing fittings with the emphasis on shipping more units per container than ease of installation or incompatibility with UK's extensive use of T/E.

Reply to Domestic consumer upgrades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net