Discuss Domestic consumer upgrades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Competing with the 'Dangerous Dave' is always going to be a problem and it's not going to stop until they are found and prosecuted. Since they don't certify, they are difficult to find. Bastards.

just been to look at a job.new extension, several grand. all electrics done by or through builder.....no certs, BC witholding completion.

kitchen ring.....no r1 (L-L), no RCD ( taken from wrong side of split board). 16A MCB.
12 downlighters, all halogen. christ knows if insulation smothering them. FI required. and no RCD for luminaire circuit
gas bond cut off and left dangling.

bloody cowboys. told customer to contact BC and get them to put pressure on, make the buggers come back and either do it right or pay me ( cash upfront, of course) to do it .

Just been to look at a job myself. Local takeaway been open since December. They had a full renovation prior to opening including a full rewire. All looks very smart.
Recent leaks in the front canopy have tracked down the pendant flexes causing tripping of the RCD. The only RCD, that takes out all circuits. In the second hand chint board fitted on what looks otherwise like quite a good job. No cert of course and the electrical firm that did the install are currently "working out of town".

With the impact on business, I just don't get why folks don't go rcbo throughout.
My visit to a premises the other day was based on Customer (friend of Wifey) complaining their leccie bill was too high -"that can't be right, I'm paying for the whole building ...". I attended but after 10minutes I got bored with looking at tails and meters (no obvious problem), I went up to the kitchen and I could hear water running. Washing up? Maybe. Anyway it turns out their dual immersion was busy day and night trying to keep the tank water warm as it poured out the (failed open) prv into the tundish. "How long's this been going on I ask." ... "It's always made that noise " she replied. Plumber got a job and I got a coffee.

I can't understand why so many electricians undervalue their work. They train hard and have high overheads..and charge a measly £350 for a consumer unit upgrade.This involves care and attention and insurance warranties etc. Not to mention testing every connected circuit and then recording and registering a certificate with the local authority.
Its time electricians wake up and smell the coffee. £495.00 for a 10 way split sounds perfectly reasonable to me.I would like to get this but I have to settle for £425.00. Due to cheapskate guvvy job leccys installing them on the side tax exempt with no certificate or insurance blahdy blah.
I have tested some cheapy jobs and had to recommend improvements because of cut corners...especially tests on dangerous c1s left in place.
Price it right and you won't need to rush it or cut corners...have some pride in your profession .

It's not a case of undervaluing our work, it's just a case of charging what the local market will stomach.

@telectrix mentioned a job he missed out on the other day, I missed out on a similar job (replace two PIR floods, move old floods to garage replacing two non PIR floods). I err'd on the side of caution and used my standard 1 hour per light pricing strategy (which seems reasonable and provides some accommodation for unexpected issues, so 4 hours or half a day). £120 + materials.

I lost out because I was 'significantly' more expensive than who ever got the job.

When pricing I aim for £250-£300 per day. This allows for overrunning of jobs or unexpected issues and return visits if products I supply go wrong.

this also covers the sourcing of materials invoicing quotes etc...

I would like to see us all agree a fixed labour rate for as many specific jobs as possible.
Ie £425.00 for a 10 way split.
£40.00 per hour short term work.
£250.00 per day minimum per man.
Feel free to throw some figures in lets have a debate on this.
I would also like to see a local blacklist of repeat non payers.

I hate to say it but that's like trying to have 28 countries all with a unified economic policy and currency... it's not exactly working out well.

The problem is my overheads are different to your overheads which are different to the next persons, and it all depends on your target market and local economy.

And regardless of what decent sparks agree, there is always going to be that bloke down the pub who'll do it for £50.

Reply to Domestic consumer upgrades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net