Discuss Domestic electrical engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Broadsta

Hi I'm planning on doing an EAL 7695 level 3 course. Will this help me get a job within he domestic environment as an electrical technician/ engineer? Or does it have to be a C&G? I ask as this course covers most C&G domestic courses but instead of the individual C&G quals for each you get 1 EAL certificate. It sad that it's worth 27 credits. Would I be able to get work with this qualification and does anybody know much about it?

thank you in advance

Military back round fitting batteries etc and cables into vehicles. According to the site I looked at it covers the city and guilds electrical installation, pat testing, electrical testing, building regulations part p and 17th edition, principles of installation and fault finding.

the course is called a gold course domestic electrician. It also says that it counts towards a l3 diploma in electrical installations.

the site says the course covers installation, 17th edition, part P, pat testing, electrical testing, electrical principles and fault finding, circuit design and some other stuff in a workshop.

It says the EAL qualification is allied with ECA, NICEIC and certsure if this helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
ISI&TEE is an add on course mate, if I'm brutally honest I could train my dog to do it if he could master reading and writing.
There is no such recognised thing as a "gold course" in anything and I doubt it will gain you any exemptions from anything so how can it count towards another qualification?
I'm not peeing on your fireworks just for the sake of it mate, I'm being realistic. This might enable you to join a r£gulatory body and be a DI but an employer isn't going to look at this very well.

Not ****ing lol I'm glad for the help and advice before I decide what to do.

its run by tradskill4u? I don't know how good they are?

i presume your an electrician.. domestic engineer.. i think the term engineer has.been used very casually there. how.about an HNC OR HND ?. too many people come on here.moaning how.they have been sold a ball of **** . do your homeowrk dont be one of.them

That's what I'm doing now lol. I'm trying to research before I make any decisions and I figured this would be the best place for advice on electrical/ electrician courses

Put it this way, when someone comes on asking questions like your's they're invariably pointed towards their local college. Although I have to say that I also have no idea how good or bad they are.

I wouldn't waste £3k on it mate.
Take a trip to your local college and ask them there about C&G 2357 (I think) courses, It shouldn't cost you anywhere near that and will give you a proper rounding in electrical theory. While doing that at evening classes try to get in somewhere as a mate so you can get the practical experience you'll need.
Now here's the downside. It's going to take a lot longer than 10 weeks but you'll be better off in the long run.

Think about it, just how competent do YOU think you'll be after 7 weeks in center training and 3 weeks distance/on-line training?? They are selling a mellon the same as every other private training center outfit. No such thing as a recognised electrical installation diploma, except maybe within the training centers own glossary. No such thing as a gold anything in the way of electrical qualifications, and there's certainly no such thing as a domestic electrical engineer, or come to that a ''domestic installer'' either..... It's all a fabrication from start to finish!!!

There is no way you will be competent to work in peoples homes after 7 weeks of training in a controlled environment. It simply will not give you the practical experience of the work place you will realistically encounter.
Bare in mind, a fair proportion of the work won’t be new installs, it will be modifying older installations. You need experience to know how to approach the job.

As for it being the “gold” course, its two extra weeks are padded out with stuff that you won’t use in domestic installation.

It is highly unlikely you will find employment given your lack of practical experience.

What did you want to hear? You have had honest answers.

This place is full of Electrical Trainee’s asking the most basic questions because they have taken on something they have no experience of.

An apprenticeship is to give that much needed experience, guided by a mentor.

I feel sorry for you Broadsta. You come out of the military and there are parasites on every corner trying to dip their hands in your pockets and nick yer hard earned cash all the while sticking some glossy ad campaign with gold stars and handsome men holding screwdrivers plastered all over the front to distract you while they reel you in hook, line and sinker. Believe me there really IS such thing as trying to paint a turd gold!

I was in the same position as you mate when I left, I was nearly caught when I took the bait from a salesman at my rehabilitation center. Told us to spend our resettlement cash with them and we'd come out of the army earning £50,000 a year. I'd signed up an' all! Luckily I got the right advice before I handed over any of my readys and got on to a college course with my local state funded provider. It took longer, three years of study and three years of hard graft (four years in total) but I came out an electrician and not a wannabe electrician. In total my three year course + NVQ +AM2 cost about half what the private provider wanted for a course lasting the grand total of five weeks! As others have quite rightly said, there is no such thing as a domestic installer, there are only electricians and non-electricians. You won't even be competent to wire a plug after five weeks, let alone replace someones fuse box or rewire their house.

Make the right choice mate, you'll know you've made the right choice when you come out of your time with a cert that's actually worth something to both you and a prospective employer instead of leaving thousands of pounds out of pocket with just a fancy piece of ar$e tissue and no knowledge.

As for Trade Skills 4U, I've nothing bad to say about their teaching. I've never used them however I know others who have used them for the odd one or two day bolt on course and have had very good things to say about them. I've even met their head honcho, an ex MET Police officer, seemed to have integrity and was a nice guy to boot. That said, I'm under no illusion that he is just a shrewd businessman who has latched onto a massive flaw in the industry, one that has only appeared as a result of the complete lack of common sense of the government and corruption on a massive scale between the 'competent' persons schemes and back hander taking politicians.

Reply to Domestic electrical engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net