Discuss Double pole MCB and ovens in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My intention is/was to wire up 2 ovens, and a hob, using MCBs in a CU located in a cupboard adjacent to the oven positions. Each oven to have its own DP switch adjacent.
The ovens will be mounted in what was an old chimney space and I had intended putting the switches in the brickwork at the side. Now that I have started what a performance. Due to unforseen gremlins in the brickwork it will entail chasing out a lot of brickwork, with resulting dust and hassle. So I though how about using double pole mcbs to isolate the ovens. Can these be mounted in a CU using 2 different busbars or just cut off some of the lugs on the current busbar and wire the neutral portion of the MCB with cable.

In short, NO, in my opinion.

For further information, look at the manufacturers instructions for the distribution board you intend to use.

I think there are boards available that distribute both live and neutral to double pole breakers.
They would be used in an IT installation.
Wether they are suitable for switching live and neutral would have to be confirmed by the manufacturer.

2 way 18mm bus bar is available so a distribution board could be built up but it’s completely down to the person building the assembly as to wether it is safe and compliant

Can you not mount a couple of isolators in the cupboard?

In short, NO, in my opinion.

For further information, look at the manufacturers instructions for the distribution board you intend to use.

I think there are boards available that distribute both live and neutral to double pole breakers.
They would be used in an IT installation.
Wether they are suitable for switching live and neutral would have to be confirmed by the manufacturer.

2 way 18mm bus bar is available so a distribution board could be built up but it’s completely down to the person building the assembly as to wether it is safe and compliant

Can you not mount a couple of isolators in the cupboard?
Hi

Yes I could it was just that the CU is in there at present. I am assuming that a couple of double pole isolators in the cupboard is considered a suitable solution and that no immediately adjacent switch is required. To isolate the ovens , if cupboard mounted double pole switches used, would involve walking around a work surface opening a cupboard and throwing the switch.
[automerge]1601995628[/automerge]
Now just another thought as the ovens are fed from a CU which obviously has a double pole switch can this not be deemed to be the isolator. Okay so to isolate an oven, before it is unplugged, would mean both ovens and the hob being disconnected for a short period.

Last edited:

Reply to Double pole MCB and ovens in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net