Discuss Double socket problems!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rennie158

DIY
Reaction score
I’m changing my double socket and upon removing the old one, I seem to have 3 separate wires coming in to it. So essentially I have 3 live wires, 3 neutral wires, and 3 earth wires. How do I connect the earth wires to the new socket as it only has 2 terminals? I’m fitting new chrome black sockets so want to be careful!!

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 56
Looks like you have the original ring (reds and blacks) then someone spurred off the ring in new cable (brown and blue)

Reds/Brown
Black/Blue
Green Yellows

You can either put the earths into one terminal or two in one and one in the other it doesn't matter as the terminals are connected together.

That wiring (the red and black bit) is over 50 years old. Might be time to think about replacing the bits of the installation not on show, rather than just the decorative bits.

A rewire seems extreme. No reason why that black and red won't pass IR tests.
Not as such, but the number of points fitted in the '60s falls well short of what most people require today, and I'd almost guarantee that further inspection would unearth some very dubious modifications and additions.

Not as such, but the number of points fitted in the '60s falls well short of what most people require today, and I'd almost guarantee that further inspection would unearth some very dubious modifications and additions.
Why limit that to the 60's? Could easily apply to late 80's and early 90's and well beyond. With modern builds it seems spec is low to hit for extra's left right and centre. Was on one today, 4 bed done around 2012, master bedroom and the big bedrooms 2 double sockets per room, small bedroom had 1. At least it was double sockets mind.

@westward10 may appreciate this...SHOCKING

Parker Morris report in 1961 set the minimum number of sockets, etc in a dwelling. Not sure if it's been superseded.
My childhood home had two singles in each bedroom, opposite diagonal corners. Nothing on landing. Single in hallway downstairs.. I think only 4 singles in living room, even behind the telly and I really can’t remember the original kitchen.

Kept Woolies going in selling 4 way adaptors in those days.

Luxury! I currently have 2 singles in each bedroom, a single in the hall, and 2 doubles and a single in the living/dining room.
There are some old heater outlets i could repurpose, but adding new sockets would be a tedious and messy affair as all the internal walls are brick. My PC setup has a a 6-way trailing socket, 2 4-ways and a 5-way, with only a couple spare, all hanging off a single wall socket...I really need to sort this.

Oh there’s a lot more now, with changing singles to doubles, repurposing unused storage heater points, new kitchen and having an electrician as a son…

Ok I’m new to this so please don’t anyone listen to my advice here but if you might humour me a while can I take an opportunity to check my learning on this basic post please? I’m hoping someone might be kind enough to confirm (and also I need to make several posts before I can apply to join the trainee forum)? Thanks in advance for any help :)
put the;
2red together with the brown conductors into L,
2black together with blue conductors into N
3 cpc (green/yellow) conductors in any combination (1in1,2in other or whatever) into any of the 2 earth terminals

Ok I’m new to this so please don’t anyone listen to my advice here but if you might humour me a while can I take an opportunity to check my learning on this basic post please? I’m hoping someone might be kind enough to confirm (and also I need to make several posts before I can apply to join the trainee forum)? Thanks in advance for any help :)
put the;
2red together with the brown conductors into L,
2black together with blue conductors into N
3 cpc (green/yellow) conductors in any combination (1in1,2in other or whatever) into any of the 2 earth terminals

Yes indeed.

My childhood home had two singles in each bedroom, opposite diagonal corners. Nothing on landing. Single in hallway downstairs.. I think only 4 singles in living room, even behind the telly and I really can’t remember the original kitchen.

Kept Woolies going in selling 4 way adaptors in those days.

Luxury! I currently have 2 singles in each bedroom, a single in the hall, and 2 doubles and a single in the living/dining room.
There are some old heater outlets i could repurpose, but adding new sockets would be a tedious and messy affair as all the internal walls are brick. My PC setup has a a 6-way trailing socket, 2 4-ways and a 5-way, with only a couple spare, all hanging off a single wall socket...I really need to sort this.
At the risk of turning this into a remake of a Monty Python sketch, I don't think there was any room in my childhood home that had more than a single 13A socket, or any room, except the bathroom, without one.
Wife's childhood home was even worse. Upstairs just had a single 13A socket on the landing, and none at all in the bedrooms. As an electrician in my early 20s, it was while fitting extra sockets upstairs, and an electric shower, that I was shadowed by the 17 year old daughter of the house...

Reply to Double socket problems!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net