Discuss Double switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I have just moved into a house and have a couple of double switches where one side does something but the other doesn't.

The attached pictures are an example

The right switch turns a utility light on and off but the left switch does do anything.

I have attached some pictures of the wiring to hopefully shed some light?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20210131_150257.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210131_122849.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210131_122844.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 28
It probably does do something, you just haven't found it yet.?

The cable for the left switch appears to go out backwards from the switch, what's in the other side of the wall?
It looks like it goes out to conservatory but everything works in there with that switch on or off.

I have the same in the garage where I have been able to follow the wire.

Comes out of switch into a fused box with a switch but again switch does nothing

The armoured cable looks like it’s on the load side so I reckon did some outside light or pond pump or something .

I have something similar by my back door where previous owner hand some outdoor path lights but I removed them because they were rusty and full of water.
I still have the 2 g switch and the armoured is taped up outside.
which reminds me it’s been like that for 5 years so about time I actually disconnected it.,.

Reply to Double switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Would be grateful for some advice. Would like to add an additional light (Undercabinet 8W LED Batten light) to a two-way light switch...
Replies
Views
Double wall socket switch won't switch off. It just flips back to on. The left side one is fine. It used to do this 3 years ago then was working...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have recently moved house and what to replace the garden shed. The shed has some electrics; a double socket with a fused light switch and a...
Replies
Views
DYI guy here with some basic knowledge of electrical craft. I am helping a buddy in his remodeled bathroom. His GFCI outlet was powered off vanity...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock