Discuss Earth Leakage tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think I have looked at every low amp clamp meter on the market now, I didn't want to spend several hundred on it as I will not use it that often but I equally want something that is accurate and reliable.

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Metrel MD9270 or the Fluke 360, anyone give an opinion on which may be better for testing domestic RCD tripping?

The Metrel MD9270 gets my vote. Had mine for 4 years. It gets used a few times a year, generally for investigating RCD tripping. Also has a few extra functions which you may find useful.

The Metrel MD9270 gets my vote. Had mine for 4 years. It gets used a few times a year, generally for investigating RCD tripping. Also has a few extra functions which you may find useful.

I do really like the look of the Metrel but have no experience of the quality of Metrel equipment. I did wonder if it was a bit of over kill for general domestic fault finding?

I spoke to Chris as Test-meter, very helpful, he told me that the Metrel meter has been discontinued (awaiting a new version), he advised not to get the Fluke or the Metrel unless I am going to be doing Power analysis. He recommended the Tek 775 at £72, I have to be honest and say it looks like a toy, All my other test equipment is fluke or Megger but Chris is convinced that this is just as good.

I really don't know.

I spoke to Chris as Test-meter, very helpful, he told me that the Metrel meter has been discontinued (awaiting a new version), he advised not to get the Fluke or the Metrel unless I am going to be doing Power analysis. He recommended the Tek 775 at £72, I have to be honest and say it looks like a toy, All my other test equipment is fluke or Megger but Chris is convinced that this is just as good.

I really don't know.
look at it like this, what brand do you trust?

ive had some free test leads from fluke and ill be honest i like there customer service. (i got meger cause of the price, i wanted a decent one that would measure upto 200amps as i am unlikely to ever need to measure any single phase above this and i plan to keep it for many years)

After all the help and advise I have ordered the new Metrel 9272 which replaces the 9270 (exactly the same features though), it looks like a great bit of kit on paper and at the price of £230 with a small discount it seems good value compared to the others.

Thanks for all the advise.

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Reply to Earth Leakage tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net