Discuss Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Terminator that was tomorrows lesson/debate lol.

Terminology, especially for those taking exams are key.

Step by step, day by day this thread will grow with everyone adding to it just like you have, thank you, keep it coming.

Didn't fancy pulling this one. IMG00143-20110726-1022_2.jpg

Spotted what’s wrong with the last picture, compression fittings on gas!

That's I usually think, but the handfull of domestic gas isolators I've fitted on hobs, only been able to find compression valves. Have to check my CORGI registration/training course folder on that one. You being industrial with multiple bar gas lines it's probably a complete No No.

That 'Electric Shock Treatment' poster next to the flailing bond quite amuses me.

Spotted what’s wrong with the last picture, compression fittings on gas!

Nah!! ............ compression fittings are perfectly OK in an accessible place - jut like leccy junction boxes are .......... It's the floating earth that's the problem.

(but you knew that already) ;)

In pic 1, at the top right hand corner, there's what looks to be a gas Emergency Control Valve & associated pipework which looks to be far too close to the leccy stuff.

(Aye .... aahh knaa it's got nowt to do with earthing etc. aam just showing off)

Spotted!

It was about 3am at the time, out of hours bank inspection.
I'm sure the next guy will pick it up in about 2 years time.
Banks are in pain in the proverbial. I seem to remember it takes them about an hour or so to shut down their main server (or whatever it is) so you can test the one circuit, with some clueless staff member hanging around asking how to do it - ring your IT dept!

On a TT system an earth electrode (aka earth rod) needs to be installed. The rod needs to be available for inspection and testing, this can be achieved by an earth pit as below.

Picture_1_-_Copper_Earth_Rod_Inside_Precast_Concrete_Chamber.jpg

Or if in a cellar it can be left without an enclosure. I know the picture shows a rod outside next to what looks like a metal gas pipe, I would try and locate it away from the pipe and foundations of the house and into better soil, away from concrete and rubble but if it gives you a good Ra result (Ze for a TT) I would leave unless it causes an issue with the gas incomer. Any thoughts on this?

ELECTRICAL-EARTHING.jpg

but if it gives you a good Ra result (Ze for a TT) I would leave unless it causes an issue with the gas incomer. Any thoughts on this?

1/ As you say installed far too close to buildings external wall.

2/ No thread visable so probably one of those thin twigs, ...Or a threaded rod that's been chopped because they hit rubble (see 1/ above). In both cases this rod is unlikely to be stable through lack of depth!!

3/ Exposed rod to conductor connection, absolutely no protection being offered to the actual connection that is also far too far out of the ground..

4/ Area of influence of the rod will be affected by the metallic pipe, (That's if this rod is achieving anything in the first place...lol!!)

5/ Hmmmm, ...I wonder how long that external unprotected galvanized pipe is going to last? Pretty sure that doesn't meet gas codes, ...none that i know of anyway!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net