• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss EICR audits _________ in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Judd

-
Reaction score
The company I work for periodically gets its EICR'S audited, one thing they pulled us for was plastic blanks in pre Amd3 boards 'easily removed without the use of a tool and readily accessible'
They put this down as a 'code 2'
Can't really fathom this, what about pendants? Which have been overlooked, it's resulted in a return to hundreds of properties fitting MCB blanks.
Any thoughts?

The company I work for periodically gets its EICR'S audited, one thing they pulled us for was plastic blanks in pre Amd3 boards 'easily removed without the use of a tool and readily accessible'
They put this down as a 'code 2'
Can't really fathom this, what about pendants? Which have been overlooked, it's resulted in a return to hundreds of properties fitting MCB blanks.
Any thoughts?
Probably best to carry some spare blanks of various makes to fit in case they are missing rather than have to code missing ones in the first place, makes sense, imo.

Probably best to carry some spare blanks of various makes to fit in case they are missing rather than have to code missing ones in the first place, makes sense, imo.

It sounds like the OP has fitted blank but the auditor doesn't like plastic ones that are "'easily removed without the use of a tool and readily accessible" so coded them C2.

It has nothing to do with fitting blanks it is the type they have fitted ie, plastic.

It sounds like the OP has fitted blank but the auditor doesn't like plastic ones that are "'easily removed without the use of a tool and readily accessible" so coded them C2.
Auditor is a jobsworth then, a non electrical person shouldn't be unscrewing the CU cover in the first place, NICEIC Auditor was it?

It has nothing to do with fitting blanks it is the type they have fitted ie, plastic.

But they have been fitted to "pre Amd3 boards" according to the OP.
Not sure when the blanks were fitted.
Silly question now. So if there is a blank way in a pre Amd3 board you have to fit metal blanks to it, even though you may be fitting it next to a plastic blank? Sounds silly to me but regs are regs if that's the case..

But they have been fitted to "pre Amd3 boards" according to the OP.
Not sure when the blanks were fitted.
Silly question now. So if there is a blank way in a pre Amd3 board you have to fit metal blanks to it, even though you may be fitting it next to a plastic blank? Sounds silly to me but regs are regs if that's the case..
Do blanks have to be metal now, strictly speaking they are not part of the enclosure.

Not missing blanks, plastic blanks
Still no reason for Mr Average to unscrew the cover in the first place, if the CU is plastic pre non combustable CUs in Domestic applications, whats wrong with plastic blanks? nowt in my books.

Can I mention the audit company? Wasn't NICEIC,
Of curse you can, it was just a thought on my part, as to the sort of thing a NICEIC person would think of to justify his existence and inflated salary.

Can I mention the audit company? Wasn't NICEIC,
Of curse you can, it was just a thought on my part, as to the sort of thing a NICEIC person would think of to justify his existence and inflated salary.

The use of plastic blanks is not prohibited. The use of parts that can be removed without a tool or key to provide basic protection against contact with live parts is prohibited.

I have come across plastic push in blanks that comply and some that don't. Pendants are an exception to this general rule.

The use of plastic blanks is not prohibited. The use of parts that can be removed without a tool or key to provide basic protection against contact with live parts is prohibited.

I have come across plastic push in blanks that comply and some that don't. Pendants are an exception to this general rule.
Agree with your bit about can be removed without a tool or key Andy, but if you are going to fiddle about with a CU and remove blanks with your fingers? well say no more.

Reply to EICR audits _________ in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back