Discuss EICR Codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry, this again.

Normally I don't ask, but just want opinions on whether my thinking is in line with the majority on these observations I've not come across in a while.

TT system. Ze: 340ohms. Code 2. Question is, what would you define the cutoff point between no code, code 3 and code 2. Personally a code 3 would be not for the result, but if I thought the cable/rod/joint could be protected better etc. Code 2 if Ze higher than 200ohms or significantly higher than I have reason to believe it 'should' be. Is 200ohms the correct figure, and anything above this code 2?

NYY-J/Hi-tuf buried direct in garden to shed. Unknown depth. RCD protected. Leaning towards Code 3 here, but expect some would go Code 2

MICC from suppliers cutout in loft to suppliers cutout under stairs. The pot is visible above the cutout in the loft, with 'basic insulation' visible. FI - with UKPN to further investigate.

Lighting has no cpc within the cable. All Class 2 fittings and plastic switches. Some metal KO boxes are fitted in the wall behind switches. Code 2. Would change to Code 3 if nylon screws fitted.

Cheers

Personally I would go
Depends when you measured, following a dry period, or hard frost ~340ohm is probably the highest it would get, and as the RCD does continue to protect - C3. However if it's like now, when the ground is wet etc. then in a dry period it could go well above this value, and may not be properly protected by a RCD, so C2

NYY-J/Hi-tuf buried direct in garden to shed. Unknown depth. RCD protected.

Not sure I would code it, it has fairly good protection against mechanical damage, and RCD protection, so although could be damaged by spikes/shovels it's suitably protected anyhow.

MICC from suppliers cutout in loft to suppliers cutout under stairs. The pot is visible above the cutout in the loft, with 'basic insulation' visible. FI - with UKPN to further investigate.

If the basic insulation is for the live conductors (and not just the outer sheath of the pyro) - I would agree with FI, the utility could come back with it's reinforced insulation - so it's OK, a second layer isn't always required so can't C2 it as no second layer, you just don't know

Lighting has no cpc within the cable. All Class 2 fittings and plastic switches. Some metal KO boxes are fitted in the wall behind switches. Code 2. Would change to Code 3 if nylon screws fitted.

I would go with C3, contact cannot cause the person to grip the screw, so although a shock is possible - assuming RCD present it wouldn't warrant a C2 for me

You make some good points.

Test was today. Ground saturated. Zs on circuits 100ohms less than Ze at rod so clearly better is easily achieveable! Clear C2

Not sure I can agree on point 4. Are we saying a shock isn't potentially dangerous if the contact area is small and we can't grip it?

Not coding point 2 implies that it is installed in accordance with the regulations. I'm sure NYY/Hi-tuf isn't suitable for direct burial?

Not coding point 2 implies that it is installed in accordance with the regulations. I'm sure NYY/Hi-tuf isn't suitable for direct burial?
not suitable does not nesassarily mean potentially dangerous Or even improvement recommended. But if you think it is I wouldn’t argue with your opinion. You have a better understanding of what you see As you are the inspector.

All good points.

Just been thinking about whether something could be 'not suitable for the job', but at the same time attract no code.
For me I see the observations as not just for C1, C2 , C3 & FI. I also do no code observations. You can code this issue if you wish or if you chose not to but feel you want to make an observation, do so.

You make some good points.

Test was today. Ground saturated. Zs on circuits 100ohms less than Ze at rod so clearly better is easily achieveable! Clear C2

Not sure I can agree on point 4. Are we saying a shock isn't potentially dangerous if the contact area is small and we can't grip it?

Not saying a shock isn't an issue, just that the likelyhood and consequence is low, we are not inundated with reports of big issues with this sort of thing, so I wouldn't consider it worth raising above C3, of course other opinions are valid.

Not coding something doesn't imply it is compliant with regulations, red and black wiring is not compliant, but you wouldn't code an older property as needing resolving (C1...C3) because the cable colours are wrong, that's my take here - it may not be my cable of choice, (I don't actually like it btw), but it doesn't represent a danger so I wouldn't code it at all - if there was no RCD that would be different.

EDIT
More comments added whilst I was typing, and agree I may make mention of observations that doesn't result in a code. Often as an explanation as to why no code - For example many automatically assume overload protection MUST be applied to a cable via the MCB feeding it, so if I don't code it I would explain why - "fixed load [ or local motor protection etc] therefore overload protection not required, MCB providing Fault current protection only" sort of thing

Last edited:
NYY-J cables are manufactured for direct burial in the ground however to comply with BS7671 they must be protected by a duct or conduit. The only type of cable suitable for direct burial according to BS7671 is a cable which incorporates an earthed armour or metal sheath. So your method of installation is not compliant, see Regulation 522.8.10.

NYY-J cables are manufactured for direct burial in the ground however to comply with BS7671 they must be protected by a duct or conduit. The only type of cable suitable for direct burial according to BS7671 is a cable which incorporates an earthed armour or metal sheath. So your method of installation is not compliant, see Regulation 522.8.10.
I am not sure anyone is saying it is compliant.

I know but in #2 you say you weren't sure if you would Code it when it is a non-compliant means of installation.

Last edited:
I know but in #2 you say you wouldn't Code it when it is a non-compliant means of installation.
Correct.

Nor would I code other things because they are non-compliant, I would code them if they represented an immediate danger, a potential danger, or a recommended improvement (Or FI etc).

There isn't a requirement or option on an EICR for "not compliant" nor should there be.

Old wiring colours are non-compliant but Prima facie I wouldn't code that, Plastic CU again isn't compliant, but again in-itself I wouldn't automatically code that, and so on.

The idea of a periodic report is to make a qualified assessment if the installation is safe/suitable. That doesn't mean it has to be 100% compliant with the latest regulations.

As said earlier on in the thread, the same item, given no RCD protection would attract a different code.

I agree the new Coding system is poor the old Catergories were better. Having said that the cable is not installed in compliance with BS7671 and comparing it with old conductor colours and all insulated consumer units isn't relevant, that is a case of a previous compliance no longer satisfying current requirements. This cable installation has never been compliant, the fact it has rcd protection is irrelevant.

I agree the new Coding system is poor the old Catergories were better. Having said that the cable is not installed in compliance with BS7671 and comparing it with old conductor colours and all insulated consumer units isn't relevant, that is a case of a previous compliance no longer satisfying current requirements. This cable installation has never been compliant, the fact it has rcd protection is irrelevant.
I would disagree, how safe or unsafe something is isn't contingent on whether is was compliant or not previously, but wholly on does it or does it not present a danger.

Having or not having rcd protection changes this significantly.

Does it present a danger or not well we cannot anticipate that but following the requirements of BS7671 we would hope this danger is significantly reduced which is why EICRs are carried out. Item 5.9 of the condition report inspection schedule is relevant here asking whether wiring systems are appropriate etc......
Regulation 522.8.10 clearly states that unless a cable has an earthed armour or sheath then additional precautions are required such as duct or conduit, it does not suggest rcd protection as an alternative therefore some level of Coding in the Report is required.

Reply to EICR Codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net