Discuss EICR on an old church in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Straightforward EICR job coming up on my village church. Don’t think it’s ever had one before.
Quick visual survey today to estimate my time, and instant thoughts are no RCDs anywhere, cables clipped surface here, there and everywhere and joint boxes hidden behind wood panelling. (I should know that one by now)

Anyway… having a good look around, up old balcony’s that no one uses now, accessed from doors outside… I came across this….

16645F07-AE2D-4982-BA7B-905A115633E5.jpeg

I never even knew that was there!

Some other points of interest:

A832E601-5CDF-440F-A675-507B5B583064.jpeg

Heating board. Single insulated cables running from Henley into CU

38461DF7-3D6C-4FEB-AE55-2FCFE3F5C8EA.jpeg

No busbar shield. And very limited space to put in a full RCBO board.

B000A5D9-8DD8-4C88-8801-09F375C1A632.jpeg

Hidden JB

8020950D-9E63-4520-A152-CFBF54044D4C.jpeg

Nicely clipped lead cables (unused) versus newer PVC just thrown in.

Attachments

• 3E3381D8-A48C-48E5-BD42-272B6FA2235A.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 25
Had a quick look at an old church in Rutherglen. Decided not to take it on.
Hammer house of horrors eat your heart out.
Have fun.

One day might be a little optimistic.

I’m giving it a full day to test, because there’s a lot of boards, and hard to find points.

I just thought some might be interested in the photo of the massive organ. 😏

Thanks. If the organ is on a balcony accessed from outside, that sounds like an ideal arrangement for nipping out for a swift half during the sermon....
Next time open the curtains, I predict two keyboards and between 6 and 8 stops each side.

For the record, that's not a knife particularly massive organ ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks. If the organ is on a balcony accessed from outside, that sounds like an ideal arrangement for nipping out for a swift half during the sermon....
Next time open the curtains, I predict two keyboards and between 6 and 8 stops each side.

For the record, that's not a knife particularly massive organ ;-)
Spot on.

I think there is 2 keyboards and the pullout stops with strange words written on them….. as well as a little strip light and an old toggle switch.

If it still works, I’ll take my piano playing daughter when I do the EICR and see if she can belt out “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”

Church EICR's can always be good for opening a can of worms
A couple of years ago my wife was asked would I review an EICR on the church where she is on the PCC having done a few little relamping jobs on the church in the past I had some knowledge of the installation and the EICR was very poor and had missed numerous issues with most being quite obvious, turns out the contractor was onsite for no more than 2 hours and reviewing the previous EICR's it was interesting to find that the last 2 EICR's and the one I reviewed were copied from the 2005 one which was when the last remedial work was done
After a walk round with the guy who looks after the church records pointing out all the issues that needed bringing up to standard I was asked to price up the remedial work that was noted I reckoned on 2 days to put everything right but once we started it became apparent that there was a lot of underlying issues that needed to be addressed so after some discussion on the price it took 4 days to complete all the work. The installation was singles in conduit and most of the circuits had crossed lives and neutrals which when installing new RCBO CU's is not a good start so a lot of hours were spent untangling the mess
At least the next NICEIC contractor has got a decent EICR to copy next time round as the local church hub has agreed a deal on the next round of EICR's

Had been doing the 5 year EICRs on my local church for years. Every time the same C2s were still there, plus a few more. Couldn't get through to the committee (average age, about 92) that it was a report that needed acting on.
New committee in charge, now that the original lot have died off, and I no longer do the EICRs.
Last time I was in there was back in the summer, when it was part of a village event. A couple of minor things had been attended to, but I could still see some of the C2s.

Reply to EICR on an old church in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net