Discuss EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Interesting but it contradicts itself, it says plastic should be coded c3 under the stairs ie improvement recommended, however later in the same page it says that plastic consumer unit do not need changing. So they can't make their mind up.
It also says you can't use non conductive cus for tt supplies which is clearly very backwards. It's not the insulated cu that's a problem it's the fire performance. To explain it that way round is misleading at best.

The above is clear to me. Once the plastic was a hard bakelite type I remember the likes of Crabtree and MEM (Eaton as it is now) then changed to ABS plastic never used to hear of consumer unit fires it is down to poor workmanship of loose connections and also not rechecking factory connections. All of a sudden there is a push to use the torque screwdriver.

Interesting but it contradicts itself, it says plastic should be coded c3 under the stairs ie improvement recommended, however later in the same page it says that plastic consumer unit do not need changing. So they can't make their mind up.
It also says you can't use non conductive cus for tt supplies which is clearly very backwards. It's not the insulated cu that's a problem it's the fire performance. To explain it that way round is misleading at best.

No contradiction that I can see.

Plastic consumer units do not need changing as the regulations are not retrospective. This is explained in the introduction to BS7671.

A C3 means that the issue does not conform to the current regulations and could be improved in terms of safety. It does not mean an issue must be rectified or altered.

Fair enough I can see the sense there, it's always recommended to comply with the latest regs even if there's nothing wrong with the previous.

It is most certainly not always recommended to comply with latest regs if there is nothing wrong with the previous install. That's what the introduction to the regs explicitly states.
All guidance and training related to periodic inspection teaches this also.

The only recommendations that should be put forward are recommendations related to safety, not just strict compliance. For instance nobody would suggest a rewire just because pre harmonisation coloured cables were in use. Well, some decorators I have met would say that actually but, well you see what I mean.

oh yeah sorry that quote is out of context as I wasn't meaning about cable colours, I was meaning about the CU issue we were discussing in particular always better to recommend improvement. But your post is very informative @Andy78

Regarding the OP, in a personal capacity I'd not recommend changing a CU purely because it's plastic (due to the cost/risk ratio), but C3 has a much more formal meaning than a personal recommendation. Would people actually encourage/expect customers to change their CU in response to a C3 on this matter?

Some of the committee members, seem to have an alternate opinion, it would seem.

I know. Idiots. How can a location affect how dangerous something is? Either it is dangerous or it is not dangerous. Either it requires improving or it does not.

We would not change the coding of damaged cables based on their location.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. Idiots. How can a location affeect how dangerous something is? Either it is dangerous or it is not dangerous. Either it requires improving or it does not..

They are not interested in safety, they are about sales and profits 95% of the time ......

And the schemes are in on it too ..... revenue, and profit

Fair enough I can see the sense there, it's always recommended to comply with the latest regs even if there's nothing wrong with the previous.

Regarding the metal CUs with a TT supply, I notice network rail found a similar issue. Perhaps we should approach all TT CUs where a fault has been reported with a volt stick! Or better still have double insulated CUs. http://www.tracksafetyalliance.co.uk/storage/documents/Safety Bulletin NRB 17_07 - Test before touch while fault finding.pdf

Where in the Regs does it state plastic CUs must be used for TT supplies?

I know. Idiots. How can a location affect how dangerous something is? Either it is dangerous or it is not dangerous. Either it requires improving or it does not.

We would not change the coding of damaged cables based on their location.

I don't agree with that statement, what about explosive environments electrical components that are perfectly safe to use normally would not be suitable in the explosive environment and could be very dangerous so location does effect how dangerous some thing is.

Reply to EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net