Discuss Eicr in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

lets work it out..........

4 a day in 8 hrs including driving & paperwork = 1hr 20 minutes actual testing at each site on 2-3 bed properties.
good luck with that.

Which could be taken up simply identifying the circuits and accessories, let alone any tests.

Tbh I'm averaging 3 hrs per test in which I'm happy with and satisfied I've done a good test on the installation but will not be pushed like some of the other guys as its a good company to work for in general it's just the testing department that come up with theses figures like I said if I get pressured il just move to the follow on works team that get a decent time scale to complete work

just carry on at your own pace, then you can be sure you're doing the job properly.

if they say owt just tell 'em to swivel :dita::dita:. then find a company that appreciates professionals.

I'm guessing you don't get a tea break or lunch?!! Time to look for a new job as that sounds like a shambles. What's the firm called? Duffy's Circus?
Never get time for dinner and do paper work at home apart from test rests sheet that I leave a copy attached to consumer but like I said most of our electrical departments are really good and fair apart from the testing section.

Takes me not far off an hour just filling the first 7 pages in and having a wander round.

If no problems were encountered, then 2 a day is do able, but no more than that if they are to be done properly.

Well it's the same old off the tools spark that's never really done testing that's come up with these figures you would of thought after using contractors that we sacked for doing abysmal tests they would of learned there lessons as many of the follow on work teams have exposed there results and findings .
Get the old spark to lead by example and show you how its done with you shadowing him making sure he does not cut the corners etc and do the necessary paperwork as well in the allotted time. See what he says!

Just a lim on l&n on lighting circuits ,the only other thing is most houses have the same circuit lay outs in the same streets which makes things quicker but 2 a day is enough
thats a lim on ir L to N

4 a day is nothing subbed to a company last year who did 100 circuits a day 8 hrs 37 on day rate 63 on a bonus of £2.50 a circuit it was easy just LIM everything you can and make the rest up I actually used there tester twice in 6 weeks that's how they did it they charged £23,000 for 4,700 circuits work it out yourselves walked away from them it was obviously a scam tests were a load of bull company is well known and lands big contracts I wonder why as it was explained to me they have a good team in there offices conning the clients just makes a mockery of testing all about money

Last edited by a moderator:
this is becoming the new pat test.
i did one yesterday .wimmin asked for a price 4 hours plus vat.
thats a bit steep i had a man do one in london for me and he was in and out in about half an hour.
15 circuits i was ther bang on 4 hours and it was a decent install with no faults
oh i didnt think that it was this involved....
commercial is no better
the biggest site i work on has an ex spark as the manager and he is a very knowledgeable one at that.
he gets all these national boys giving him all the talk about what they are going to do blah blah
he then usually picks their half arsed methods to pieces and tells them to gtf of his site until its done properly.
thing is im losing work to these clowns because im pricing to do proper testing not a quick glance and a test sheet from whatever fertile imagination the "tester" has left at the end of the day.
can anyone do an emoticon of boiling pish for me....(

letting agents are to blame i reckon! i did a few on day rate and took "longer than the last electrician" and they were grumbling about the price, telling me the last guy did them for £60 and did 3 a day! i told them exactly what i thought the other electrician would be doing but they don't care they just want the certs.
and kept banging on about gas checks. but, but, but the gas checks are only £60 too, so surely the electrics must be £60?
erm no, i'm not sure what a gas check involves but in general in the average house theres a boiler, a fire and maybe a hob/oven. so thats 3 things to check, compared to multiple tests on 15 sockets, 10 lights, a shower, a cooker, boiler circuit, etc etc do you get it you cannot compare the 2 they are completely different

One a day for me. Be pushed to do two properly. To those that want them done for 50 quid I say " Yes I can match that, which parts of the testing would you like me to leave out ? ". :)

i am actually lined up to do visual condition reports for the letting agents above from now on, for £60 a go and they will take 1.5 hours i reckon including travelling and the certificate. so i stand to make twice as much per hour, and they think it's great.
it was weird, they got me to inspect a few, moaned about the price and then paid up and asked me to do a load more but wanted money knocked off, to which i said no it costs what it costs or else i can do a lesser certificate which does not involve any testing but you will get a certificate and it will either say safe or unsafe depending on what i find

i applied for a job once with a local company (who have now gone pop), they wanted me to travel 60 miles to conwy, test 4 houses and at the same time install hard wired smoke alarms all in an 8 hour day!
needless to say i told them where to stick it!

Reply to Eicr in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net