Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Electric Cable running across Garden in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Paula

Paula EF Member

Business Name:
    None
    Hello
    Looking for a bit of advice.
    I live in a flat and the upstairs neighbours had an unarmoured electric cable running from their house down the property wall and across my pathway. I asked them to look at it as live and unarmoured and they got someone in who has put armoured cabling in directly from their flat to their shed. The new cable now runs through the air across my garden and is a complete eye sore. Would the electrician fitting it have assumed they had saught my consent before installing this new cable and can iI ask them to remove it?

2. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Do you own the garden or is it a 'shared' garden?
    If it is yours then they would have to ask you your permission to run the cable over your property.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Whats in the lease?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    An armoured cable suspended, how long is the span from here it leaves the building to the Shed, has the " electrician"
    Installed a support cable as well? for someone who is non electrical the support cable should be a Steele wire referred to as a Catenary wire, from where I am sitting it seems like a job from bill down the Pub. Yes he should have asked you if it was OK to traverse your Garden in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Can you post a couple of photos?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Good call Mate. Preferably of where it leaves the building and where it enters the Shed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paula

Paula EF Member

Business Name:
    None
    Its my own garden

8. Paula

Paula EF Member

Business Name:
    None
    Its about 7 meters in length from where it leaves the building to the shed. There was an old cable there before that ran across my path (un armoured) and pre-dated me moving in which I asked them to get looked at as a hazard dangling inches above my head, but now this has been put in without my consent.

After 1.jpg

After 2.jpg

After 3.jpg

Before.JPG

9. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

They should have asked permission in my opinion. I also think it would be better with a vertical post at the shed end to raise that end a few feet.

Do you get on with the neighbours? Can you approach them?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

That doesn't look like 3.5 meters off the ground to me..

708.521.1.2 Overhead distribution circuits

All overhead conductors shall be insulated.
    Poles and other supports for overhead wiring shall be located or protected so that they are unlikely to be damaged
    by any foreseeable vehicle movement.
    Overhead conductors shall be at a height above ground of not less than 6 m in all areas subject to vehicle movement
    and 3.5 m in all other areas.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moaz

Moaz Active EF Member

Looks like someone who had no idea what they're doing did the job. It might aswell be a telephone line.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Paula

Paula EF Member

Business Name:
    None
    I've asked the neighbours to move it. They were understandably not very happy having spent money getting this new cable put in. No confirmation this will be done yet. I don't mind if it comes along and down the wall and is then dug under the path into their garden but I really can't have it where it is.

13. Paula

Paula EF Member

Business Name:
    None
    Its probably 2-2.5 M from the ground where it joins the shed

14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Who is the free holder? And what does your lease asst about this sort of stuff?

Also goggle wayleave

15. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Where is there shed in next doors garden or do they also have a garden adjacent to yours, that install is wrong and is on or in your property, I'd get them to move if as it could easily get damaged and may cause you issues.