Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Electric Shock off a Light Switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ali-C-123

Ali-C-123 Active EF Member

Hi. Wondered if anyone can offer some insight. Basically this isn’t my area of work in general so hence the post.

I was asked today to oversee an investigation into a potential electric shock when someone switched a light on. The shock was described as a “massive” electric shock that supposedly blasted the victim against the adjacent door. Victim was ok afterwards with no lasting effects. Nobody seems to have seen the incident.

The commercial spark ran his tests. Basically the light is a double gang plastic switch (think cheap) on a plastic surface mount box. Inside the earth cables are terminated together but not to the box as you would expect with it being plastic.

There were no loose cable or damaged cables in the box. The guy testing ran an insulation resistance test from the light fitting with the switch in the ON position and found it to be fine. Zs measured at about 1.5ohms on a 6A MCB. RCD test tripping at 23ms at 1xI and at 7ms at 5xI. Similar results at 180. Ramp test showed RCD to trip at 24mA. Earth continuity belled back to dis board from every accessory and found to be fine.

The spark didn’t have an explanation. Neither do I. Settled on replacing the switch itself. Anything we’ve missed? Any advice welcome.

2. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

What material is the carpet made of ? ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ali-C-123

It’s concrete. I can’t see it being static. Especially considering the box isn’t earthed with it being a surface mount plastic box.

4. DPG

DPG Respected Member

Difficult to see how such a massive shock could be obtained in those circumstances you describe. It's not somebody 'trYong it on' is it? Have they mentioned compensation ?

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Did the person that received the electric shock justexti a swimming pool and was dripping with water?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ali-C-123

No the person was totally dry. It’s a strange one. No the person hasn’t mentioned combo but I am inclined to believe that the story may be a little fishy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MFS Electrical

MFS Electrical Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Was the switch arcing and possibly frightened someone?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ali-C-123

I wondered that myself. The person is insisting that they received a shock. It’s always a little concerning when you don’t find anything wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ali-C-123

I think I’ll just present my findings and leave it at that. Just wanted to be sure I hadn’t missed something in your opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ruston

ruston Respected Member

Maybe has Cervical Spondylosis in the neck, lifting the arm can cause severe pain in the neck and tingling in the arm similar to a mild shock.
    If they have not had it before this can be quite alarming.
    Other than that I am with @DPG@DPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Ali-C-123

Thanks folks. Appreciate the input.

• Like Like x 1
  12. essex

essex Forum Mentor

He is talking rubbish. Not sure how anyone can get a shock from plastic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    What is the switch switching I know sometimes you can see the arcing in the small gap when making and opening the switch contacts?

• Like Like x 2
  14. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Replace the switch at least it looks like you have done a pre emptive fix.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Edtwozeronine

Edtwozeronine Regular EF Member

A friend of mine recently got a shock from the metal cassing of an old 12v transformer he was tinkering with. I'm quite surprised he's not dead! 0_o