Discuss electric shock through plastic switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I attended a call out the other day to check the electric after a water leak. I checked it, went to turn lights on and had tingle through the an all plastic switch. i scratched my head in disbelief and touched it again, i had another tingle. My guess is that the rocker has worn down so much that the plastic is wafer thin between the live part and my finger? it looked in pretty good condition mind, no obvious signs of wear.

I said to the tenant have you noticed this before? they said yes my boyfriend has had a few shocks off it. they never thought to report it?? too busy watching jeremy kyle with their flagon of white lightening.

na it wasnt static, it was more like holding onto the end of an IR tester lol.

it was a constant shock, definetly not static discharge. only if you touch at the bottom of the rocker.

No signs of arcing along the edges of the switch? could be a cheap switch with badly shrouded contacts that's tracked on the plastic

No signs of arcing along the edges of the switch? could be a cheap switch with badly shrouded contacts that's tracked on the plastic

more than likely something like that, i normally dont even touch the switches in the houses as some tenants have been known to snap used needles off in the bottom of them, then when you push the bottom of the switch in the needle sticks in your finger.

Reply to electric shock through plastic switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. Sort of an interesting one. I had a call from a client to say she is getting a shock when using the shower. I told her not to use it and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, New to the forum. I have been asked to look at this for one of our guys who's had an issue onsite after some electrical works had been...
Replies
Views
Hey all :-) Hope its chill that I'm here asking questions, I just inherited this old decrepit place in NSW (Australia) and went to wash my hands...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Looking for help here as I've come across a strange call-out today. Bare with me here: Got a call from a customer saying they had...
Replies
Views
Hi all! This is my first post and I have registered to ask for some help with troubleshooting an electric shock I got from a plastic light switch...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock