Discuss Electric shower query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The landlord hasn't seen it. I'm just about get in touch with him. I suspect he will seek to silicon up the gaps. It won't be prettiest finish but will that make it safe?

Or should we just get someone else out to put in a new shower?

As the tenant, the paper trail and invoices may all be 100% - the duty of the spark is to provide it to him, not you

You shouldn't be touching the shower IMHO unless your landlord has given you written permission to do so.........

Your landlord has a LEGAL obligation to provide facilities that are safe and adhere to any relevant regulations. If you believe this installation to be dangerous you can contact your landlord first and explain the situation and provide him with photo evidence, you can also contact your local council housing office to explain the showers condition and why you believe it to be dangerous, they will then arrange a visit with you to inspect the shower. They have the power to FORCE the landlord to rectify it. Your landlord may NOT even know how bad this alleged electrician actually is.

I agree with @Fitzy - the landlord probably gives the jobs to this electrician as he’s always done. Send the same photos you’ve shown us to the landlord and express your concerns. Good chance that it may open their eyes to the work being done ‘ in their name’
Let us know how you get on, we like ‘happy endings’!

do not seal that up with silicon or anything else. the electrician may have left his horse in there. :p:p:p.

I agree that it's not pretty but the manufacturer has deemed this a suitable cable entry so should have made provision based on the assumption that there will be water spraying around, ie any water ingress should be able to egress without causing any problems.
There shouldn't be any need for silicone, except maybe for aesthetic reasons.

If you were to get your own tradesman out to replace the shower then the landlord has no obligation to reimburse you for it.

“Lone Ranger Electrical” strikes again

At least he cut the trunking to fit over the wood trim at the ceiling. I’ve seen trunkinkung that just bends into the shape it needs to be with a gap down the back.
A little care cutting at the shower end and it would look much neater.
Agree, if shower manufacturers allow top entry for pipe and cables, it must be safe to do so.

I guess the wall was already tiled, hence the need to go surface. I just dont understand why the 'electrician' did not use the supplied cable outlets, made for the job.

I sent the pics onto the landlord and, predictably, he asked me to seal it with some silicon. So I did. No issues thus far.

As for the landlord now being aware of the work being carried out in his name by this guy, all he said to me was "I'll let him know for next time." . Didn't expect any better, tbh.

Thanks for all your remarks.

Agree, if shower manufacturers allow top entry for pipe and cables, it must be safe to do so.

I believe that what they have internally where the cable entries are is like a trunking type effect that separates the entry point from the internal electricals, so if water does get it, it runs down inside the cavity and drips off harmlessly into the bottom of the case where it can then run out.

I believe that what they have internally where the cable entries are is like a trunking type effect that separates the entry point from the internal electricals, so if water does get it, it runs down inside the cavity and drips off harmlessly into the bottom of the case where it can then run out.
But only if the manufacturers instructions say it’s ok because many don’t allow top entry

Reply to Electric shower query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net