Discuss Electric switch covered in plaster, now light doesn't turn off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is it though?

Having the light permanently wired to be switched on for over a month doesn't seem like the best option to me

Not ideal, but I was meaning it was better from the point of view of the plasterer getting an electric shock or damaging the cables with the trowel (which, let's face it might have happened).

I fit these if its a plasterer I don't know. Double version also available. They can be cleaned and re-used.
1680090795525.png

Not ideal, but I was meaning it was better from the point of view of the plasterer getting an electric shock or damaging the cables with the trowel (which, let's face it might have happened).

I guess another option could be to just cap off the switches the same way as the sockets and have no electrics in the room, but then plasterer would need to supply his own lighting.

I am just curious to know what the industry standard is when plastering a room with light switches. I have other rooms to refurb so getting an idea of best practice on how to prepare sockets would be very helpful for future renovations.

So far I have DPGs suggestion, any others?

I guess another option could be to just cap off the switches the same way as the sockets and have no electrics in the room, but then plasterer would need to supply his own lighting.

I am just curious to know what the industry standard is when plastering a room with light switches. I have other rooms to refurb so getting an idea of best practice on how to prepare sockets would be very helpful for future renovations.

So far I have DPGs suggestion, any others?

Tim's is the best I think (has only just been posted). Nice and safe and the switch is still usable. And it's cheap!

Plasterers are messy sods. Remove the switch. Clean the cables and switch - the plaster will come off super easily. If needed, a new switch costs buttons as do Wago connectors. So a storm in a teacup and not worth falling out with a tradesman over, but to be honest, on balance, this is on you.

For future plastering works, ideally remove sockets & switches and tuck cables into the box; maybe cover them with a small bag or tape. Failing that, cover sockets & switches in a bag.

Reply to Electric switch covered in plaster, now light doesn't turn off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net