Discuss Electric underfloor heating fixing methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyork

Hi all, not posted for a while so her goes...

tomorrow im installing 30m sq of loose electric underfloor heating cable.

im not new to installing the stuff but do much prefer the matt style system.

With it been such a big area I want to make sure it doesn't start lifting when it's sat for a few days before it gets self levelled over the top.

I've got a ck telecoms cable style staple gun and I'm thinking do using this as it's into tile backer board so shouldn't squeeze to hard on the cable, and I'd consider ufh cable to be stronger than bt cable?

thoughts or experiences appreciated

cheers

rich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 144
don't use staples!. seen a plumber do that on 2 jobs. both failed within 6 months.

The advantage of scrim tape is that the self levelling compound will penetrate it and surround the cable properly, in theory you could get air pockets either side of the cable where other tapes are used. I haven't a clue whether this will really be a problem or not, but I don't chance it.

Wot!!! ............ No Gaffer Tape???? :eek:mg_smile:

It's not that much different to gaffering half a dozen microphone leads across a stage really. :happy:

Ah well you see it's like this, I don't touch none of that filthy noise-boy / hum-scum nonsense. It's not without good reason that they are known as the plumbers of the entertainment industry!

duct tape. geordie's the expert with that.

NO Tel ........ NOT Duct Tape - It's Gaffer Tape!!

There's a difference and it's all explained here-->> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Matte black gaffer tape​

Gaffer tape (also known as gaffer's tape, gaffing tape, gaff tape[SUP][1][/SUP] or gaffa tape[SUP][2][/SUP]) is a heavy cotton cloth pressure-sensitive tape with strong adhesive properties. It is widely used in theater, photography, film and television production, and industrial staging work.
While similar to and often confused with duct tape, it differs in the composition of both the backing, which is made from fabric as opposed to vinyl or other plastics, and the adhesive, which is more resistant to heat and allows easier removal without damaging the surface to which it was adhered.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP]
The precise origin of the name is unknown, one theory being that it is named for thegaffer (chief lighting technician) on a film crew.[SUP][6][/SUP] When cables are taped down on a stage or other surface, either to prevent tripping hazards or conceal them from view of the audience or camera,[SUP][7][/SUP] they are said to be gaffed or gaffered.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

There's a difference and it's all explained here-->> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Matte black gaffer tape​

Gaffer tape (also known as gaffer's tape, gaffing tape, gaff tape[SUP][1][/SUP] or gaffa tape[SUP][2][/SUP]) is a heavy cotton cloth pressure-sensitive tape with strong adhesive properties. It is widely used in theater, photography, film and television production, and industrial staging work.
While similar to and often confused with duct tape, it differs in the composition of both the backing, which is made from fabric as opposed to vinyl or other plastics, and the adhesive, which is more resistant to heat and allows easier removal without damaging the surface to which it was adhered.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP]
The precise origin of the name is unknown, one theory being that it is named for thegaffer (chief lighting technician) on a film crew.[SUP][6][/SUP] When cables are taped down on a stage or other surface, either to prevent tripping hazards or conceal them from view of the audience or camera,[SUP][7][/SUP] they are said to be gaffed or gaffered.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

Neither of which should be used for sticking cables down.

In the civilised world we use LE-Mark mag tape or mag tape extra. It's BBC specification for sticking cables down dontcha know ;)

Matte black gaffer tape​

ive always got a few rolls of gaffer tape and a hundred foot or so of paracord, it comes in very useful.

need to lash something together then thats all you need

Ah well you see it's like this, I don't touch none of that filthy noise-boy / hum-scum nonsense. It's not without good reason that they are known as the plumbers of the entertainment industry!

Right ye Southern poofter lampy boy!!

That's the last time ye'l be gettin' a "like" or a "Thanks" from me!!!!:laugh:

The HOURS I've lost hanging around waiting for you prima-donner jessies to get yer trusses up in the air before I can get my lads on stage to stack 'n' rig the back line you wouldn't believe!!

Right ye Southern poofter lampy boy!!

That's the last time ye'l be gettin' a "like" or a "Thanks" from me!!!!:laugh:

The HOURS I've lost hanging around waiting for you prima-donner jessies to get yer trusses up in the air before I can get my lads on stage to stack 'n' rig the back line you wouldn't believe!!

Once upon a time there were two riggers sitting on too of a truss when a lampy appeared below them in the bucket of his cherry picker. Rigger one says to the other 'I wonder what would happen if I bashed him on the head until half of his brain cells had died?'
So he grabs his podger (ooo err missus) and wallops the lampy on the head, the lampy shrugs and carries on.
The rigger decides to repeat the exercise and this goes on until the lampy has only two brain cells left.
The rigger decides to try this one last time and sets to work with his podger again.
As soon as that lampy is reduced to having one brain cell left he lowers his cherry picker, gets out and goes to stand behind the FOH desk and begins to twiddle pots and faders.
And this yet another bloody Prima Donna sound engineer is born!

Neither of which should be used for sticking cables down.

In the civilised world we use LE-Mark mag tape or mag tape extra. It's BBC specification for sticking cables down dontcha know ;)

The BBC?? ............ Them poofters'll be using it to clag their boyfriends to the bed prior to using a bit more of it to deprive said boyfriends of their bodily hair.

Interesting information !
The kit I've got comes with 10mm wide duct tape, and always ends up lifting somewhere, quite like the double sided tape with skrim, sounds like it'll look like a neat install

Make sure you take your resistance readings of the wire. I would even take a photo of the reading with the taped down wire in the background. You don't know how careful other trades will be when they do their bit with their size elevens! Cover your own arse mate

Reply to Electric underfloor heating fixing methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net