Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Electric Vehicle Charging Points!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

trying to source a product for a customer

1) where can i find them (searched google and usual spots , trying wholesaler tomorrow)
    2) how much do they cost
    3) are they standard fittings??

2. ringer

ringer Electrician's Arms

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. High Tower

High Tower Trusted Advisor

Google charge master and APT they are the 2 big boys

• Like Like x 1
  4. ringer

ringer Electrician's Arms

Got a feeling you have to TT the charging point, even if customer has PME to their house (assuming this is a domestic and not commercial customer). I have the relevant COP but not read through it yet.

5. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

just had a laugh at this comment on the POD site

6. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

hmmm apparently im not allowed to fit them lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. alarm man

alarm man Guest

has anyone actually seen a car plugged into one of these,there all over good parking spots too...was thinking of making a flying lead into a jb,sling it it the back of the van,no one would know,free parking:drunk:

• Like Like x 1
  8. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

hahahahaha!!! mint idea...!! :)

i like it

you could actually charge your drills up on a 240 extn in back of van!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. alarm man

alarm man Guest

if anyone will its you mate...:tongue:

10. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

Bloody expensive female plug top and lead if you ask me!! Why not get hold of the suitable plug top, and make your own point. Can't see anything in the basic pod to stop you doing that... This looks nothing, but a glorified plug and lead that these robbers want 475 quid for, ...Stuff that!! lol!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Any of you seen the Top Gear episode that suggested a new version of knock-a-door-run. Unplug the neighbour’s electric car and run.

OK I’m an evil barsteward!

• Like Like x 1
  12. High Tower

High Tower Trusted Advisor

Ok I'm looking at developing this side of my business so I have educated myself on it, a car can, as E54 says be charged of a plug top, however a 13a outlet will take around 16-20 hrs to charge a vehicle, a 32a dedicated charging point will take some 7hrs and the 120a 3ph will take 1 hr to charge.

There are some longevity concerns regarding the plates in the battery buckling in relation to 3ph charging hence some of the reports, however the future IS 1hr interim charging if electric vehicles are ever going to be fit for purpose.

Most houses will also need dedicated circuits for vehicle charging points, probably supplied by SWA as the charging point should NOT be RCD. Protected as the control gear inside the on board inverter inside the cars are prone to causing nuisance tripping. Hence charging off a plug top is not ideal.

13. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

I didn't suggest using a 13A plug extension!! What i was suggesting, is following the manufacturers advise, re, dedicated circuit to a switched isolator, buying the female outlet that seems to be a special, and providing your own extension lead of the appropriate CSA size. Got to be far cheaper than the 470 odd quid these robber want...lol!!!

EDIT.... The supply point ''needs'' to be a plug top, as any electric car/vehicle, will not only be using the charging point at home but also at public charging points. The means of charging needs then to be common one. The only way that's convienient for all charging points is via a standard style charging plug top.... Unless i'm missing something??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  14. J&M Electrical

J&M Electrical Guest

Brittish /gas want £800 for installing them. Robbing Bar Stewards.

15. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

british gas would sell coal to Newcastle if the could...!!