Currently reading:
Electrician and QS on trial for death of woman

Discuss Electrician and QS on trial for death of woman in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There's a lot of pressure put on people in all walks of life to do things quicker, cheaper etc .... all to make more money/profit for someone else and when you've got a family to feed and mortgage to pay it can make you do things you know you shouldnt do! But ultimately you know once you put your name on that bit of paper if things go wrong its gonna come back and bit you on the butt.

I was always told, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" ..... needs a bit of para-phrasing for electrical work but Im sure you get the jest!

There's a lot of pressure put on people in all walks of life to do things quicker, cheaper etc .... all to make more money/profit for someone else and when you've got a family to feed and mortgage to pay it can make you do things you know you shouldnt do! But ultimately you know once you put your name on that bit of paper if things go wrong its gonna come back and bit you on the butt.

I was always told, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" ..... needs a bit of para-phrasing for electrical work but Im sure you get the jest!
Too right,many years ago I worked as a QS for a firm and packed in because they wanted me to make up test sheets for houses rather than test each one,basically they wanted me to test something like 1 in 5 and adjust the figures slightly for the other 4.

Social housing contracts are cut throat! The commercial guys win the contracts at ridiculously low bids just so they get the work. They then expect someone else to put their butts on the line to make sure they make the profit they want. And of course there is no comeback on the commercial team if someone is injured or killed, its the inspector signing it all off!

On a similar note, I once did a bid where I wanted two £1M test rigs to do the contract. Having won the contract it was then decided by the commercial director (against engineering advice) that we would only order one test rig and 'thrash' it 24/7. 2 years down the line after the contract started the program was slipping quicker than going down a greasy firemans pole. 'Told you' was the cry and with some pretty hefty liquidated damages looming the decision was made to procure another one to recover. Don't bother was my response, save yourself £1M, we are going to slip 1 yr but the lead-time for a new rig is 18mths!

Making money is such a big driver that people will take risks and all engineering logic just flies out the window. You just have to have the moral courage to stand up and say "NO", which is a lot easier to say than do!

All these guy's signing off stuff that they have not personally checked at least even a random re-check or something for goodness sake. Me ? I even sign "Unchecked" when I have copped the delivery driver before the boss or apprentice haha.

My understanding of rcds from the 80`s ....is a human body would withstand upto 50mA before fatality occurs....hence rcds where set at 30mA, so using the human body as a path to earth, a limited current would pass in only milli seconds to trip the said rcd, hence saving the life, so Part of the Ecir test, would be the rcd ms timing....

My understanding, horrible though it is, is that the limits of how many mA will kill a human were largely investigated and established in ---- concentration camps during the 1940s.

her body was live through the live puddle but she'd have felt nothing until she tounched earth which was the potenial difference needed for electricution. had an rcd been installed it would have operated as soon as she earthed herself which is the impalance needed to operate the device, so whats bonding got to do with it?

her body was live through the live puddle but she'd have felt nothing until she tounched earth which was the potenial difference needed for electricution. had an rcd been installed it would have operated as soon as she earthed herself which is the impalance needed to operate the device, so whats bonding got to do with it?

Eggsactly.

"First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature?"

Because the QS (the assessed competent and trained electrical supervisor) is discharging his duties for him, checking all the work has been done correctly and signing all relevent paperwork to this effect! The bosses shoulders have sloped .......[Usually the Managing director or owner of the company is the Duty holder for the business, i"m surprised that he isn't in the dock, he still could be the trial is in its infancy.]

Because the QS (the assessed competent and trained electrical supervisor) is discharging his duties for him, checking all the work has been done correctly and signing all relevent paperwork to this effect! The bosses shoulders have sloped .......[Usually the Managing director or owner of the company is the Duty holder for the business, i"m surprised that he isn't in the dock, he still could be the trial is in its infancy.]

The niceic lead you to believe that the qs is not responsible for how the inspector obtained the readings in the report, only that the report is compiled correctly and any issues that should be flagged up by the readings are recorded appropriately. If the eicr was filled in correctly and there were no readings recorded that would show any sort of issue, surely the qs wouldnt be held responsible for someone elses work?

Who actually gets prosecuted is usually down to H&S. I think they take the view that the 'electrician' doing the work is responsible along with the supervisor (QS) who is the companies delegated technical/competant authority. The "duty holder" has exercise his duty of care in appointing a QS under the govt endorsed scheme which is there to ensure safety standards etc...!

I think the logic is the electrician shouldn't be doing the work unless he is "competent", so he is clearly culpable, and the QS shouldn't be signing off work he 1) hasn't checked and 2) is done by someone who isn't "competent". Hence he is equally culpable.

So surely if it's done via a scam, then the scam is liable too. As they have said the QS is competent, like the QS has said the person carrying out the work is?

He probably is "competent" and has all the quals, experience, knowledge etc ... required to meet the govts assessment std for being a QS. He just hasn't behaved in a competent way in this case!!

Who actually gets prosecuted is usually down to H&S. I think they take the view that the 'electrician' doing the work is responsible along with the supervisor (QS) who is the companies delegated technical/competant authority. The "duty holder" has exercise his duty of care in appointing a QS under the govt endorsed scheme which is there to ensure safety standards etc...!

I think the logic is the electrician shouldn't be doing the work unless he is "competent", so he is clearly culpable, and the QS shouldn't be signing off work he 1) hasn't checked and 2) is done by someone who isn't "competent". Hence he is equally culpable.

how far can the QS reasonably go to ensure the work is being carried out correctly? If you've got 10 guys working under you, you cant be with all 10 of them at every stage of the inspection/testing, how can you protect yourself? Even with regular supervision checks you still have to take the inspector at face value that they have carried out the job correctly, apart from going through all results with a fine tooth comb and implementing regular checks (keeping a record of checks) what else can the QS realistically do

To say someone was tragically killed and i quote "because" of the guy who did the inspection is madness is it not? He didn't cause anyone death, might have failed to spot a fault maybe, but even that is impossible to know or prove.

I once had a nightmare fault finding a tripping RCD, that after several hours we found only happened when a large pile of books (or similar) was placed on the hallway desk, without the books all circuits had clean IR results and no errors could be found. But put the books on the desk and viola IR readings of dead short L-E.

So who's to say this fella didn't do his testing when the screw wasn't quite making a short, but it later did short and killed the poor woman..?

Amazed it got to court, surely a lawyer would destroy the claim as totally unprovable, and it wouldn't even see the light of day? Very worrying precedent for our work if you can be accountable after an EICR for tragic incidents out of your control. Sure it sounds like he wasn't confident and thats bad, but still. I shall watch this case with interest.

And for the media to jump on the "unqualified" tagline, Pretty certain the laws and regs on qualified or not is very muddy area, i.e. doesn't it state a "competent person"..

I agree that the duty holder is fulfilling his responsibilities regarding appointing a suitable QS. But the DH should be held to account for sending a clearly unsuitable person to carry out the testing. Im unsure whether the QS actually fabricated the results or was he handed a set of bogus results by the adult mate.

... Amazed it got to court, surely a lawyer would destroy the claim as totally unprovable, and it wouldn't even see the light of day? Very worrying precedent for our work if you can be accountable after an EICR for tragic incidents out of your control. Sure it sounds like he wasn't confident and thats bad, but still. I shall watch this case with interest....

Very worrying case for anyone who is a QS! You are signing the paperwork to say you're happy that everything meets all the regs etc...... as far as you can reasonably expect it to. If you weren't doing that what exactly are you signing for?

How you ensure everything is 'correct' before you sign is upto you -- standing over their shoulder watching them all the time, dip checking samples of their work once completed, suprise visits on the job to see how they are doing, or whatever your supervision method is. However you do it as a QS you will have documented it in your works diary(?) so can use that in your defence to show how you exercise your duty as a QS for all the work you do supervise to ensure as far as you possible can it meets regs etc .....

I'm assuming in this case the QS has signed off work completed by someone 'unqualified' to conduct an EICR, so he will have a hard time defending his supervison actions! The fact that the boss send him to do the work is immaterial .... he should never have signed it!

Reply to Electrician and QS on trial for death of woman in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock