Search the forum,

Discuss Electrician caught signing off new install certs for non registered spark!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

I know a few Electricians that sign off other sparks work for some easy cash. What would happen if they were caught?

Any one hear of registered electrician get done for this sort of thing??

As long as the work done is to acceptable standard and all tests pass where is the problem it's none different to a big firm with 20 sparks and having only 1 signing off the work I know I sign off my mates work for him I don't have a problem with that nor do building control and I am not a member of any of those robbing schemes

They are doing themselves out of potential work by doing this IMO, it allows people to do installs for backhanders.

I have been asked a few times in the past by builders to do this and wave 2 fingers at them, I offer builders EICR's and no notification so the next time they come to a registered tradesman and pay the going rates for electricians.

As long as the work done is to acceptable standard and all tests pass where is the problem it's none different to a big firm with 20 sparks and having only 1 signing off the work I know I sign off my mates work for him I don't have a problem with that nor do building control and I am not a member of any of those robbing schemes

So how does that work? We are building control OK with this?

If your not a member what's stopping you mate signing it off.. End of the day aint you two in the same boat? How exactly are you signing it off?

The reason I'm asking this is a mate if mine signed off a sparks work few months ago. Now the house holder is having issues with the installation and unregistered sparks won't go back. And customer is chasing after the guy that signed it off.

What's the outcome for the registered sparky in a situation like this?

Well here is the difference my mate is cousin to my wife and we grew up together I have my sparks ticket my mate worked for local government and has his 17th course and many others but not registered spark but he does work even for the building control guys but just can't sign it off so I help him out with that and we work together on many things

What do you want people to say?

You’ve earned a few quid for nothing and now you’re now bitching because it’s gone belly up. Tough luck, you’ll have to do something about it yourself.

I purposely left you’re mate out of my reply and addressed it to you. Because I believe in real life and don’t listen to fairy stories about mythical “friends”.

Well here is the difference my mate is cousin to my wife and we grew up together I have my sparks ticket my mate worked for local government and has his 17th course and many others but not registered spark but he does work even for the building control guys but just can't sign it off so I help him out with that and we work together on many things

Not sure I follow you there?
so how do you notify your work?

And theres me telling other tradesmen you wont find a sparks willing to sign off someone elses work. Hope they're not reading this, i'll look like a right lieing barstewerd.

Doesn't it only take been competent to sign off ure own work if ure registered? If the person is unable to do this, then i personally wouldn't even think about signing it off for them.

Tests might work out fine and so on, but whats to say theres a broken fixture somewhere that a little kiddy winkle could get his fingers into that you've missed because you've not been involved from the start?

What do you want people to say?

You’ve earned a few quid for nothing and now you’re now bitching because it’s gone belly up. Tough luck, you’ll have to do something about it yourself.

I purposely left you’re mate out of my reply and addressed it to you. Because I believe in real life and don’t listen to fairy stories about mythical “friends”.

Is that aimed at me??

hi peps i did a job for a old timer do did a job on loft lift he asked his mate eca chap to test his work on pir
now mr building bloke came a long and took one look at it and no, the old timer rang me up and asked me would i do a eicr
i said yes to test the tester work and mr building bloke past it

The reason I'm asking this is a mate if mine signed off a sparks work few months ago. Now the house holder is having issues with the installation and unregistered sparks won't go back. And customer is chasing after the guy that signed it off.

It's like the playground, I didn't do it miss. He did.

hi peps i did a job for a old timer do did a job on loft lift he asked his mate eca chap to test his work on pir
now mr building bloke came a long and took one look at it and no, the old timer rang me up and asked me would i do a eicr

Is this from a Ladybird book? Janet & John rewire a house? Daz

Look mate if I was in the situation this spark is in I'd be consulting professional legal advice not coming on here looking for answers.

I jus wanted to know what happens to . Do they get fined, slap on the wrist or worry yet trip to pentoville prison

Look mate if I was in the situation this spark is in I'd be consulting professional legal advice not coming on here looking for answers.

I jus wanted to know what happens to . Do they get fined, slap on the wrist or worry yet trip to pentoville prison

None of the above.

No seriously, they would most likely get the slapped wrist if you can call it that much.
Perhaps a strongly worded letter in the post.

Nothing will happen until something goes wrong. That's why sparks tend to stear away from signing off other peoples work, your names on it - so anything hes done wrong is no longer any concern of his no matter how serious it may be, he's in the clear. Its all up to the last name that's been in there.

But a PIR is just an older version of an EICR? We are all happy to perform an EICR on someone elses work but this does not lead to notification.

I'm with you on this one.. I'm struggling to see who signs off the work? Who you regerstered with? Or you get building control? If its the latter then as long as the work is ok the he can do it himself, regardless of what qualifications he has.

Has the work been carried out correctly and to a good standard in accordance with building regs, the individual requirements and BS7671?

I'm sure the NIC will disagree but I thought that more important than whos paying for their made up schemes

Just don't sign off someone elses work! Your name's on the certificate - you're responsible. Even if you've done all the tests, do ypu know where the cables have been routed? How many lovely diagonal runs are there? Have you checked all connections. Are there any illegal hidden junction boxes? Do the cable sizes take account of thermal insulation? How can you tell? On the sayso of some amateur?! When you sign that certificate you're saying that the installation (not just the function), in your opinion, complies completely with BS7671. The comeback's on you!

The only certificate that you can legitimately offer is an EICR.

Pete

still not sure how you notify building control?

What's the outcome for the registered sparky in a situation like this?

The customer needs to contact the "scheme" who the signing sparky is a member of and make a written complaint. It might help.

work being signed off by someone who didnt do the work ?
well the NIC have been doing it for 20 years with the QS set-up lol.
whats the difference between them and you doing it ? a membership fee ;-)
the whole system is bent so theres no point complaining about it lol.

and a little bird tells me that 3rd party inspections and certs will be approved under next years part p changes - which clearly suggests it was never enforceable anyway.

and a little bird tells me that 3rd party inspections and certs will be approved under next years part p changes - which clearly suggests it was never enforceable anyway.

Which is what the Council do now anyway when you pay them vast amounts of money to notify if you're not self certified.

agreed. so why is it OK for LABC to test, inspect and certify someone else's work, but not for an independent sparks to do so? the £300 odd fee seems to be the answer here.

this and other part p changes will really open up the domestic electrical market to wider competition , which explains the NIC / ECA desperate money grabbing idea of a new competent persons register ( a scam of a scam of a scam if you like )
they can see the writing on the wall and an end to restrictive practices that are quite frankly against EU trading laws anyway.
i expect thousands of D.I.'s to jack in part p membership at the end of next year.

The difference with LABC signing work off is that they are only testing it not signing to say they have installed it.

I can't see why you would sign off someone else's work, most of the money has already been taken off the job and the bloke who did it will have no responsibility for the job once you claim you installed it.

I've been asked to do this plenty of times and my answer is always the same " take 100% responsibility for the job for 20% of the money? removed

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed. so why is it OK for LABC to test, inspect and certify someone else's work, but not for an independent sparks to do so? the £300 odd fee seems to be the answer here.

I have never thought about it like this tel...........why are their sparks better than us..............simply they are not...............................and they charge £300 to tell us this..............FFS I am having a large JD now whilst thinking of a rant about this

I thought that when Part P started the idea was you paid the LABC a fee so they would send someone round who registered with a scam check the work and then sign it off but then again the LABC did not even do that only took your money.

Who remembers the scene in "brassed off" where the young lady who prepared the viability study on the colliery asks the director if it's important? Don't worry,there will be a NEW part P ,reborn,re-hashed and shoe-horned in on a job near you soon...

i was in this situation before for company i worked as QS as we were an NICEIC registered contractor and we were approached to sign off an installation after speaking with the NIC due to the fact we had no involvement with the installation design whether cables had been run correctly and in appropriate zones which you would be unable to check due to builing being compelted we were advised all we could do would be to test and issues a PIR (EICR) an installation cert issued for work not carried out for a non approved contractor regardless how good the install or the contractor is, is a complete no no.

i thought there are two signatures on the paper work ?

one for the installer of the work and testing and one signature for the person verifying the test results

April 2013 all this changes anyway, according to a Part P course i was on recently with NIC approved trainer...

DIY'er or non-registered electrician notify LABC, do the work and then get a registered electrician to com in and test, the DIY'er / Non-Reg sign the design and install and then the reg signs the test. LBAC out of the loop therefore.

April 2013 all this changes anyway, according to a Part P course i was on recently with NIC approved trainer...

DIY'er or non-registered electrician notify LABC, do the work and then get a registered electrician to com in and test, the DIY'er / Non-Reg sign the design and install and then the reg signs the test. LBAC out of the loop therefore.

so basically get a registered electrician to come in, find the whole install to be aload of ****, rip it clean out and start again from fresh? Whats the point in all of us going through years of training if you can do all the work bar testing with no quals, its ridiculous. DIY'ers doing electrics deserved to be belted, harsh but true.

Reply to Electrician caught signing off new install certs for non registered spark!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net