Currently reading:
Electrician caught signing off new install certs for non registered spark!!!

Discuss Electrician caught signing off new install certs for non registered spark!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

I know a few Electricians that sign off other sparks work for some easy cash. What would happen if they were caught?

Any one hear of registered electrician get done for this sort of thing??

The more I think about the 3rd party signing off work the less I worry about it. Round my way by far the worst electrics I see are ones done on extensions and thus are "covered" by LABC planning permissions rather than Part P sparkies.

If a non registered sparky does some work and gets his registered "mate" to sign it off the unregistered bod won't earn as much and the guy signing off will want paying, so there isn't likely to be much of a saving for the client.

In this senario, customer has issue, builder gets sparky back who says there isn't an issue, customer who has name of tester calls them back and they say the issue is down to the installer - neither want to help.

So who wins? Sounds like the situation we have now will continue.

The more I think about the 3rd party signing off work the less I worry about it. Round my way by far the worst electrics I see are ones done on extensions and thus are "covered" by LABC planning permissions rather than Part P sparkies.

I think its a great idea as the testing can be done by experienced professionals like me who arent in a scheme instead of the usual muppets who have part p stickers plastered over their van as if its some sort of guarantee that they know what they're doing.
;-)

I think its a great idea as the testing can be done by experienced professionals like me who arent in a scheme instead of the usual muppets who have part p stickers plastered over their van as if its some sort of guarantee that they know what they're doing.
;-)

But the muppets who want to cut corners won't be employing the guys who do it by the book, they will employ the dodgy ones IMHO

It's Is acceptable to sign of work these days as the new certificates have multiple sign of parts, one for designer, one for installer and one for inspector. So the installation electrician would sign the first two and you sign of the inspector box. You are no longer putting your name to the installation just simply confirming it is safe

Its a shame that our industry is in such a mess. They make these programs like cowboy builders and rogue traders.....and sadly were gonna be seeing more of it. I remember when becoming an electrician was a long and hard path, that took dedication and commitment, and becoming proud to be a sparks. Thats long gone now, its a micky mouse trade now that anyone can play with. Its a disgrace.

Last edited:
The biggest winner from all these changes will be the Inland Revenue. No more none notified PIR/EICR's for an install via a back hander but an EIC sent to a local council office with the registered sparkys name on it. Of course the HMRC will not request this information from the labc and work out what the sparky has not paid tax on! Prices will increase, DIYers wont pay that much therefore they wont cert it.

Who makes up these rules, the Chuckle Brothers?

One is for certain, in the next 12-24 months our hands will be going deeper into our pockets.

The only thing a scheme like Niceic would do is a light slap on the wrist (got to think about next years subscription money) and they would probably void the insurance/warranty on that particular job.

I've been on a job this week which a local electrician wired a few weeks ago and was possibly the worst attempt by a spark I've seen!
I'm going to contact him to see if he's interested in buying the BGB as I'm positive he's never seen it.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to find a list of jobs which have been notified to LABC as I want to see if he's done it or not?
Anyway I'll post this story later.

I was going to start my own thread but having stumbled across this it seems appropriate I post my questions/thoughts here. My sister and her fiancé are having a small extension built on there house, everything has been approved and they're looking to get it started ASAP. Now me being a spark obviously I am going to do the electrical work for them, although I am not registered with any scheme. I work cards in for an NIC registered company and I have my 17th edition, approved electrician and 2391. The issue I have is signing this work off, going of what I've read on here I'm going to have to contact the LABC, yes? What then happens? Will they want to see proof of my qualifications? Maybe visit site after my first fix? I'm going to assume that whatever they do they don't do it for nothing so what sort of fees am I looking at?

What a load off b.s. , along as the person signs for install and the guy doing the test signs the testing part where's the problem, the tester will be restricted to what he can see and if the results are ok that's that only as good as an mot .

I was going to start my own thread but having stumbled across this it seems appropriate I post my questions/thoughts here. My sister and her fiancé are having a small extension built on there house, everything has been approved and they're looking to get it started ASAP. Now me being a spark obviously I am going to do the electrical work for them, although I am not registered with any scheme. I work cards in for an NIC registered company and I have my 17th edition, approved electrician and 2391. The issue I have is signing this work off, going of what I've read on here I'm going to have to contact the LABC, yes? What then happens? Will they want to see proof of my qualifications? Maybe visit site after my first fix? I'm going to assume that whatever they do they don't do it for nothing so what sort of fees am I looking at?
You say it's been approved.
Is this a planning application?
Have the electrics been approved, or are they to be left for a Part P electrician to install?

Reply to Electrician caught signing off new install certs for non registered spark!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back