Discuss Electrician > Electrical Engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As the subject suggests I am currently working as an electrician, however I have been looking into becoming an electrical engineer.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have located and contacted my local college in regards to the HNC electrical engineering courses and they have told me they do evenings, so that shouldn't be a problem as i still want to work as an electrician whist doing said course...[/FONT]

My questions are

Is this a possible career change ?

I'm 27 and wondering if i've left it to late?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Will my current electrical background help or hinder me?[/FONT]

Will i struggle to find a job now?

Should I carry on to do HND?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Has anybody had any experience in doing this?[/FONT]

Tips and pointers are very much welcomed

Thanks

Ash

Hello all.

As the subject suggests I am currently working as an electrician, however I have been looking into becoming an electrical engineer.

I have located and contacted my local college in regards to the HNC electrical engineering courses and they have told me they do evenings, so that shouldn't be a problem as i still want to work as an electrician whist doing said course...

My questions are

Is this a possible career change ? definitely

I'm 27 and wondering if i've left it to late? nope

Will my current electrical background help or hinder me? help

Will i struggle to find a job now? depends

Should I carry on to do HND? definitely

Has anybody had any experience in doing this?

Tips and pointers are very much welcomed

Thanks

Ash

my thoughts in red, after after trying to make sense of trev's answers. well, he is a geordie. LOL.

I'm looking into it and I'm a year older than you, utd's out of the champions league this year so I'm thinking it might be an option, 2 nights a week for 2 years

2 or 3 below as I understand it mate.
From what I can make out:
HNC is equivalent to 1st year of degree
HND is equivalent to 2nd year of degree
then you can do another course to upgrade your HNC and HND to a degree.

... Or you can just do it all together as a degree.

If you do the HNC then you won't immediately be an electrical engineer. To call yourself and electrical engineer you need to either have a degree or HNC/HND and 10+ years experience, or at least that's what I think

hnc is level 4 and is one below a degree, and a hnd is level 5 and equal to a degree

edit .... i'm wrong I looked it up

Higher National Certificate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may be different in England/Ireland/Wales but a HND is not an equivalent to a degree in Scotland. A degree would normally take four years to complete; 1st year is HNC, 2nd year is HND then remaining two years are all the extra units which are required to get to the degree

And not the HNC? not sure if I would even get on a degree course

HNC is one below a degree?

I don't know, but choose wisely about where and what level of qualification you do.
I read recently about someone interviewed some lass with a 1st Class degree in Computer Studies.
Turned out, she didn't even know how to program!!!
She went to Sheffield Hallam "University", looks like a Blair Mickey Mouse degree.
Point being, I think, a "lesser" qualification, which has quality content will be worth more than the aforementioned. In my opinion anyway! :)
Seek proper advice from somewhere.

Well yes, ill be graduate/trainee electrical engineer.

You won't be a graduate engineer unless you get a degree, you may find a job as a trainee engineer but you could be up against others that have the degree. I'm not trying to put you off, just letting you know how things stand. I've just finished my HNC and it's opened a lot of doors for me so I would recommend doing it

You won't be a graduate engineer unless you get a degree, you may find a job as a trainee engineer but you could be up against others that have the degree. I'm not trying to put you off, just letting you know how things stand. I've just finished my HNC and it's opened a lot of doors for me so I would recommend doing it

Did you work as an electrician whilst doing the course?

Reply to Electrician > Electrical Engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net