Discuss Electrician > Electrical Engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Unless you have studied electrical engineering at a lower level such as a Diploma or have good A-Levels I doubt you would be accepted onto a degree course (or even a HND for that matter).

I would do what you suggested in your original post and do a HNC. See how you like it and then you could either go onto a degree or do a extra year and get a HND. Electrical engineering covers a huge field and there is plenty opportunity out there. The problem is starting out, the pay may be not as good as your used to and you may have to go down before you get back up again.

Did you work as an electrician whilst doing the course?

Yes I did but I did the HNC fulltime so I was just taking on small domestic jobs to keep the money coming in. The college said it was fulltime but really it was only 3.5 days a week so I just worked 1 week day and some weekends

Yes I did but I did the HNC fulltime so I was just taking on small domestic jobs to keep the money coming in. The college said it was fulltime but really it was only 3.5 days a week so I just worked 1 week day and some weekends

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking, however might be a bit different for me if i did the HND i'd probably have to leave my company as im not self employed. But cross the bridge when it comes to it.

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking, however might be a bit different for me if i did the HND i'd probably have to leave my company as im not self employed. But cross the bridge when it comes to it.

Just do small jobs for yourself to try and keep the money coming in. If you do the HND full time it will be two years, the first year will be HNC and the second HND. I'm considering doing the HND but i start a new job in a couple of weeks so I'll see how that pans out before I decide

Just do small jobs for yourself to try and keep the money coming in. If you do the HND full time it will be two years, the first year will be HNC and the second HND. I'm considering doing the HND but i start a new job in a couple of weeks so I'll see how that pans out before I decide

Easier said than done I think, from my experience. Need to get NIC registered also.

A new job in engineering ?

Easier said than done I think, from my experience. Need to get NIC registered also.

A new job in engineering ?
Not if your only doing non-notifiable jobs. My new job is an electrically biased engineering/maintenance job. It was the HNC which got me the job, i definitely wouldn't have got it if i didn't have the HNC

Not if your only doing non-notifiable jobs. My new job is an electrically biased engineering/maintenance job. It was the HNC which got me the job, i definitely wouldn't have got it if i didn't have the HNC

Cool, sounds good. Get yourself on the ladder as such . How did you find the course ?

Cool, sounds good. Get yourself on the ladder as such . How did you find the course ?

At first i thought that i wasn't going to able to do it because i'd been out of the education system for so long and the first units we did were heavy on the Maths, which is something I've always struggled with, but when i got over that hurdle the rest of it just seemed to roll by. If i'm honest i found it easier than i thought i would and i got an 'A' in the final graded assesment

At first i thought that i wasn't going to able to do it because i'd been out of the education system for so long and the first units we did were heavy on the Maths, which is something I've always struggled with, but when i got over that hurdle the rest of it just seemed to roll by. If i'm honest i found it easier than i thought i would and i got an 'A' in the final graded assesment

That's good then . Did you need separate help with the maths ? Are you a similar age to me?

That's good then . Did you need separate help with the maths ? Are you a similar age to me?

It's my birthday tomorrow, i'm 34. I didn't get any extra help with the maths, just the same help as all the other students. It wasn't that bad really, it just took a wee while to get back into doing

If you want to go into electrical engineering, go for it, but do so, eyes wide open. It is VERY different world.

If you want to call yourself a professional engineer, you need to be registered with the engineering council. EngTech, IEng or CEng. Normally HNC=EngTech, Degree=IEng, Masters Degree=CEng.
There is a lot more than just a qualification to get the engineering council registration. Your background as a sparks WILL help.

You are never too old

The course maths often is the biggest hurdle for people, but there is help and none of these quals comes without proper hard work.

If you get a proper electrical engineering qual and registration, you should never be without work and it is possible to earn some serious money.

I have mentored and put people through all levels of engineering council registration. If you want a chat, PM me.

Has just been pointed out to me that HNC will get you EngTech. Checking the list of quals they will accept, of which there are many, so is an NVQ level 3 acceptable, the same as required by scams for full scope electrician. EngTech is a legally protected title, ie if you haven't been awarded it it is illegal to call yourself this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into a foundation degree. Designed to be studied whilst working (work based project needed to be completed) and easy to top up to full degree.

If you want to go into electrical engineering, go for it, but do so, eyes wide open. It is VERY different world.

If you want to call yourself a professional engineer, you need to be registered with the engineering council. EngTech, IEng or CEng. Normally HND=EngTech, Degree=IEng, Masters Degree=CEng.
There is a lot more than just a qualification to get the engineering council registration. Your background as a sparks WILL help.

You are never too old

The course maths often is the biggest hurdle for people, but there is help and none of these quals comes without proper hard work.

If you get a proper electrical engineering qual and registration, you should never be without work and it is possible to earn some serious money.

I have mentored and put people through all levels of engineering council registration. If you want a chat, PM me.

Thank you for your post, very informative.

In what way is it such a different world? in terms of less manual and needing to use your brain a lot more?

Thank you, Im sure ill be in contact at some point

Stupid is a better answer - the HNC is the only one remotely connected with electrics - electronics systems or something, also working in my area as a domestic sparks is a chap with a Phd in something to do with chemistry.

Stupid is a better answer - the HNC is the only one remotely connected with electrics - electronics systems or something, also working in my area as a domestic sparks is a chap with a Phd in something to do with chemistry.

One of the guys on the HNC course I did had and honours degree in graphic design....just goes to show, you never know which path's life will lead you down

Reply to Electrician > Electrical Engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net