Discuss Electrician quote for materials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yup, I tried to price products with a warranty but I sort of assumed that if anything failed (say 2 years later) the electrician would still want paying again?
Hi - probably want some payment, but you can discuss this. My standard terms are 1 year on lamps and dimmers. Longer warranty period is entirely possible but would likely incur an additional charge.

"I don't have a materials list, just a price, £840. So I've probably missed stuff off. It's 10 x white double sockets, 7 smoke alarms, 1 heat alarm, 1 three way switch, 1 dimmer, 3x1 way switch, 4 downlighters, 6x6"pendants and a bathroom light."

Is this price just for the materials or is it to wire all that lot up as well?
If wiring then the sockets alone would come to £700.As a very rough price it would come to over £2000 for that lot wired,supplied and fitted.

why 7 smokes?.......but if needed and 1 heat will come to about £250 alone for quality ones

Yup, it's £233 for the ones that the electrician recommended (AICO EI161E) and it's £264 for the multi sensor ones which I prefer (from fire angel)

Hi Hayley, are the smoke alarms being interlinked with cable or via radio link? If it’s the latter then they are a lot more expensive.

Cable, the radio ones (We'd have NEST) are £366 more, if it takes 1/2 day for 2 electricians to link all the smoke alarms together then it's only slightly more expensive for the wireless ones (roughly £100 more). But I'm not sure how long it would take?

@Bob Geldoff1234 it's just materials, labour is £3,000 plus vat.

Yup, it's £233 for the ones that the electrician recommended (AICO EI161E) and it's £264 for the multi sensor ones which I prefer (from fire angel)

My advice to you

Accept the sparkies quote or get more sparkies to quote

Messing around to try and save a few pennies will just leave you in dispute or with an unfinished job on your hands

When you take your car to the garage you leave them to it

PS : Aico produce the best alarms

My advice to you

Accept the sparkies quote or get more sparkies to quote

Messing around to try and save a few pennies will just leave you in dispute or with an unfinished job on your hands

When you take your car to the garage you leave them to it

PS : Aico produce the best alarms

I think that's part of the problem, when I take my car to the garage they let me go in the pit and have a look at what needs doing, they give me a price for a part and sometimes I get my own part if it's much cheaper to do so. I've used the same garage for 14 years. I'm used to fixing things myself but gas and electrics I wont touch.

I am worried about messing him around hence me asking if it's feasible all the small ratings come to around £400, but £400 is a lot of money I think, not pennies?

Good to know that you rate Aico, is that from an installation and longevity point of view? I read on their website they rate the multi sensor alarms more over the separate optical / ionisation alarms? But their multi sensor alarm is slower than the fire angels / nest in some fire instances like wood fires.

It's only a 3 minute difference but I am deaf so it will take me longer to hear the alarm and I live with my father who is disabled so 3 minutes can make a difference to us.

I'll wait and see what the other electricians say, the second quote was £3000 and it included changing the RCD (£600) and steel rather than white fixtures, they aren't VAT registered so excluding Vat it's £900 cheaper than the first guy.

I think that's part of the problem, when I take my car to the garage they let me go in the pit and have a look at what needs doing, they give me a price for a part and sometimes I get my own part if it's much cheaper to do so. I've used the same garage for 14 years.

And here lies your problem.
You've obviously got a long term relationship with the garage and they're happy to accommodate you. Whereas, you're expecting the equivalent with a brand new (to you!) electrician. It's not going to happen ... really! :)

Also worth remembering that a lot of local electricians know each other and speak with each other, if you go around getting loads of quotes and questioning them, then you may find others start pricing high just so they don't get the job.you could become a customer to avoid.
Don't take this the wrong way but if you're this much trouble before the jobs even started I for one would walk away rapidly if I was the Electrician.
All you have to ask yourself is a few simple questions,
1 can you afford it
2 is he a reputable tradesman
3 is it worth nit picking over what you can get the parts for.
He is running a business and therefore has to make profit, how much he makes it of no concern to anyone except him.
Either accept or decline it's that simple.

Hi Hayley

As you are going with Scolmore sockets, why not go for their downlights as well? I'd highly recommend their Inceptor Nano range, this will save you some money over the Aurora.

Hope this helps.
If going for click scolmore, have a look at the denmans range. it is made using exactly the same moulds for the faceplates as click scolmore. also cheaper.

my friendly garage would also allow me to get under and see what needs doing, but i never bother.it's a Toyota Hiace. nothing ever needs fixing. (invincible, see Top Gear).

my friendly garage would also allow me to get under and see what needs doing, but i never bother.it's a Toyota Hiace. nothing ever needs fixing. (invincible, see Top Gear).

I thought the one in Top gear was an HILUX

I am worried about messing him around hence me asking if it's feasible all the small ratings come to around £400, but £400 is a lot of money I think, not pennies?

Please read post #4 again ........................

FWIW I never break down my quotes and if people start asking these questions I normally politely decline to answer questions about parts costs - and if I don't get the work ......... I don't care

You need to make sure that ALL the quotes include electrical certification AND Part P notification too.

I love customer start complaining about the quotes and the much things cost , next time you take your car to a garage and they say your big ends gone ..what would you say then when the man in the garage .
Fix it or scrap it .
Things cost, a penny saved or a pound lost ...

The electrician will be pricing all items from 1 supplier,£400 for all accessories and cable isn’t exactly miles off , , yes if you shop around on line you can save £5 here and there but got to remember that if you want him to do that then u have to pay for his time and also no guarantee that all items will arrive on time , , if the quote is from a company with professional accreditation then also remember that these accreditations are not free , they give the customer the assurance that the job will be done right if not then you have procedures in place to resolve , if you want to use wee jimmy from the pub and get materials yourself that’s up to you but as you said your father/ family will be staying there, more chance of dieing in a house fire than winning the lottery ,, do you buy a ticket ??

My kitchen fit was close to £800 on materials alone, not a huge kitchen either.

However £250 of that was materials solely for the solid oak lamp over the dining table... :D

Reply to Electrician quote for materials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net