Discuss Electricity Safety Council and suggested crimping tools in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

those 'wire nuts' are like a modern day dog cock, and they were fine on stranded, but I'd really struggle to agree they were any use on solid core cables.
bottom line, I wouldnt use them.

those 'wire nuts' are like a modern day dog cock, and they were fine on stranded, but I'd really struggle to agree they were any use on solid core cables.
bottom line, I wouldnt use them.

We called theM ''Screwit's'' .... They ''weren't'' fine then, with the old stranded imperial cable and they ain't fine now for metric solid or stranded cables either!!!

Most electrical fires in the US are a direct result of the virtual universal use of these wire nuts, at ''Every'' socket outlet, switch point and ceiling lighting point, not to mention J/Boxes!!

When I served my time I stripped out a lot of ceramic Screwits as connector block was in fashion funny thing is I went into my local branch of Senate electrical and what was stairing me in the face yep a new plastic version of Screwit no doubt from the land of the good old USA.

Back to the crimps yes thay are a no no you are supposed to use rachet types

I'm with you E54, I just cannot see how anyone could ever think these were a good idea. In my book a mechanically sound joint is one that you could tie a rope to escape a burning building (well.....you get my point...) and these don't even pass the little finger test.

Plenty of "wire nuts" on this site! Lol

Yep, and ''ALL'' made in the States!! lol!! Ideal/3M are just 2 such manufacturers!!! Some of those wire nuts are huge things, ...you would have a job getting a face plate on a back box with just 2 X of them being used!! lol!!!

Yes!! This is the type of connection we used, to replace a wire nut fiasco i had on a project where German socket outlets were specified for all the accommodation blocks.

Contract minimum cable size for power wiring 4mm, German outlet suitable for maximum 2 X 2.5mm!! Which meant joints at each outlet back box!! Thankfully, never had that problem before or since!! lol!!

I can,t remember if it was in the regs but I know the idea behind ratchet crimps was to ensure a consistent quality of crimp every time,as a crimp with the ordinary ones varies from person to person,was told by someone from bicc that crimp tools should ideally be used with crimps from same manufacturer as tool.Also a lot of crimp tools have a correct way round when crimping,normally the coloured dot toward the cable.

Reply to Electricity Safety Council and suggested crimping tools in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net