Discuss Emergency Lighting in Disabled Toilets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sirocco

Can anyone help me with a simple question?
Does the lighting circuit in Disabled toilets located in offices have to be on the emergency lighting circuit?
Also I want to install a PIR motion detector light switch in the disabled loo; are there any regs which stipulate the type of sensor which needs to be used (eg timer or permanent PIR sensor)
Any help appreciated.
Graham

as far as i can remember you cant have timer lighting in disabled toilets,you also need a disabled alarm in them too.id have a look at the dda regarding toilets to make sure it complies.

1. Emergency lighting (local batteries) is installed on the 'ordinary' lighting circuit.
2. If someone is in the room, they will be constantly activating the PIR.
Simple.

Sorry Adam but if someone is in the room PIR will pick them up[ when they move personaly Iv never fitted PIR in disabled toilets as some disabled people may take a while and may also panic if light goes out
as for Em Lighting should be from lighting circuit that feeds toilet lighting no point in having one that goes on when office lighting goes out but doesnt when toilet lighting goes out is there?

BS5266-1:2011

6.6.5 in short, if there is a window (borroewd light) the area does not need emergency lighting.

If the area is greater then 8M2 treat it as an open aea.

if it were my job yes you need emergecy lights in a disabled toilet also as alarm said you also need disabled alarm switch ie pull cord panic button etc dont see a problem with light on pir as you can set it to 45 mins thats plenty of time for anyone to do there bussisnes

its good practise to install an emergency fitting in there cause if the power fails for example its the disabled who would be out last also its a room with a door gotto have it (in my oppinion)

my BIL wants Ems in the house as if there is a power cut they have NO lighting unless their is a full moon
If there was a power cut Id take the risk assesment that it MAY also effect the strteet light outside said window hence no borrowed light wqould be available ?:p

I don't buy this idea that in a room the size of a toilet cubicle, even a disabled one, the light will go off with someone sitting underneath a PIR, even if they are sitting still.
I looked up some EMG lighting requirements for a job I did a while back - you only need them in toilets if they're over a certain capacity (although it is recommended that you install them to avoid people panicking if they're on the bog and the lights go out) and you should fit them in disabled toilets due to the vulnerable nature of the people who use them.

Distress alarms weren't even mentioned by the OP - in fact it was stipulated that this is 'a simple question'.

My local Morrisons had a refit, my little daughter needed the loo for a number 2 just after they re-opend, took her in to the baby changing area with a loo and held her over the toilet (without support or a childs child seat she would of fallen in). The movement sensor killed the lights at least 6 times while we were there, she was crying her eyes out and I was livid.
Sharp words with the manerger and a mental note not to fit basic movement sensors in toilets.

In the event of a power failure emergency lighing is to provide illumination for safe exit no requirement is required that this only happens when light levels are such that illumination was in use anyway, if that was the case we would have to wire them to the swiched live of a luminare then via a lux sensor I think everyone invovling themselves in emers should at least have a copy of the IEE guide on this subject ISBN number 978-0-86341-551-7 at the very least
Pict

Reply to Emergency Lighting in Disabled Toilets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net