Discuss Employed/Self Employed? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

HI Friends!!!!!!!!!!

I am self employed, and I am too happy with the growth I have in my self employed business. Well but still looking for more and more.

S/E is a dream for everyone i think. before that we need experience for life and business as well. i'm curious that is every S/E person super busy? too busy to contact others or even to stay in a relationship?

Friends i need guidance on insurance options for self-employed electricians. Do we require Professional indemnity, public liability and accident insurance coverages? Your replied will be well appreciated. Thank you!

What do your scheme ask for?

What do you mean by scheme here? i dont understand. i dont have one yet, so i guess i am here for the purpose of asking for a scheme, an insurance deal,which to get and are there any pakaged insurances available covering for one or all of the covers i shall require?

I'm working on the basis that you are in England or Wales and intend doing domestic work - if this is the case you'll need to be registered with a Part P scheme (Elecsa, Napit or NICEIC) and they all have mandatory, minimum levels of necessary insurance defined in their membership schemes.

Murdock, could you be kind enough to give me an idea what quotations are these three insurers stating? approximately

Elecsa, Napit and NICEIC are not insurers, they are the 3 main Part P organisations and their fees are likely to be your highest or 2nd highest bill of the year. Google them. Sounds like you've some way to go before you are ready to go self employed.

Been self employed too many years now...abit too long in the tooth and set in me ways to be employed now i reckon.

Presently getting the cash together (in these bleak times) to get me Part P sorted and all requirements met to join one of the scams out there (annoy's me i need to join some jumped up bunch of scammers trying to tell me that if i dont shell out the money i cant possibly be any sort of electrician but ho-hum).

Work is pretty short on supply around here in south lincs area due to ALOT of new vans appearing by the week (many being short coarse retrainers) doing work for next to nothing (then adding the dreaded extra's) but repairing thier dodgey work does keep things ticking over, just apity the scammers have taken the cream of the jobs really.

BUT always remember whatever is going on that glas is indeed half full.....'onest guv...

Self employed now for coming 3 months. I was previously S/E before for two years before going back into employment and hated being told what to do and having next to no input into what we were doing so, Here i am again!! Work is slow as you would expect but, i am remaining positive. I know how long it takes to build a reputation and how short to damage it.

About to sign up for Part P with NAPIT so, more cost. Hey ho you have to speculate to accumilate.

Would i suggest it to others? Yes but only if you have done your homework (and your not on my patch ;-P)

hey Ash,

I'm just training now, and really want to go self employed, did you do an apprenticeship beforehand and how did you get the capital together? Questions to everyone really,

Cheers

hey Ash,

I'm just training now, and really want to go self employed, did you do an apprenticeship beforehand and how did you get the capital together? Questions to everyone really,

Cheers
Hi Katy
I started 2330 at night college when I was 20, started working as a self employed electricians mate during my first year. Worked for 3 different guys on a casual basis as and when they need me, which was quite a lot. Bought a van and tester at 22 and had accumulated all the tools I needed by then, once I had the van I was usually working on my own doing jobs for these guys, testing and all.

During this period I started doing any private work I could get, building up a customer base, once I'd finished my 2330 (age 23) I did the 17th edition and became registered with Elecsa soon after. I now started to do more and more of my own work (£200+ a day) while cutting down the subcontacting for other sparkys (£150 a day).

I landed on my feet when I got in with a local kitchen and bathroom showroom about 3 years ago and have been doing all their jobs ever since which has probably brought in over £75k to date. Unusually, I am technically recommended and not subcontracted by this firm so I deal direct with the end client, which also brings lots of new clients in. I still do a lot of work for other customers but the kitchens/bathrooms take up well over half my time these days and I give them absolute priority, no matter how short the notice as I like to remain the only electrician they use.

Nowadays I no longer subcontact for other electricians, as I have no time to, and sometimes try and price myself out of jobs as I am so busy.

If you are serious about going self employed I'd highly recommend it but its important to try and gain some contacts before you take the plunge. Also worth mentioning that there is no work for even established contracters in some parts of the country so take this into account. (what region are you based in?)

Nice to see its not just blokes becoming electricians these days.

Recently self employed but still have a part time job outside of the trade to provide a base income though it is sometimes difficult juggling the two. Not looking to take on the world and fortunately don't have to. This is making the transition easier for me. I will leave the part time job in due course when I feel able to consistently earn. I'm no spring chicken so my time as s/e may be limited by health and the ageing process. Always wanted to try, so I have. Good luck to all.

Employed at the moment working offshore adhoc. Im also on the books for a plumber whos a good friend of mine doing heating systems etc for him. Hoping to go s/e soon and drop offshore as it not for me, just saving up at the moment, looking at getting a small van and slowly building a costumer base when im onshore

Hi all, I'm new on here but I've been looking around and I'm getting mixed remarks about s/e or not.. I'm thinking that people saying there is nothing out there either generally have no work our they have work or don't want competition so try to pot them off.that's just my opinion though..anyway I'm training atm and i also have a buisness and management qualification so i think getting started should be ok (he hopes) however I'm curious as to what is better advertising what people have found word of mouth or leaflets..also any advice on starting up would be greatly appreciated aswell thanks

Be wary of so called scam advertisers. If you list with Yell, a reputable company, you'll get battered by other advertisers offering you space in various charitable publications. Agree to nothing over the phone or better still hang up. Have a look at what Internet business forums think of companies like vardis, vision, sigma etc. eye opening or eye watering. Make your own mind up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say Self-Employed in my case, as being in my mid 50's I have been unable to get a job since losing mine in 2010. My only choice was to go SE or starve.

Started in Feb this year and it's been hard. Still not getting enough work, but anything is better than nothing.

Jobcentre wouldn't pay any more, so went on New Enterprise Allowance scheme. Even with that they only paid for 3 months instead of 6, so I am having to chase them for balance.

I'm just training now, and really want to go self employed

Cheers

I wouldn't get too excited about self employment just yet if you're only just training....just been truthful.

After you're apprenterships been long complete you'll still be learning, everydays a school day in this trade. So make sure you've got a vast amount of knowledge covering a wide range of the electrical industry and not just for example house-bashing.

I know this is not always the case, and not meaning to offend anyone on here, but, more often than not an electrician with a "damaged reputation" is because hes took on work that he's not competent in.

For example, if you're a domestic based apprentice/electrician and you decide to go self employed....and you get a call from someone in the factory industry with a dodgey motor, you accept the job turn up and have no idea whats going on. Word then spreads that you have no idea what you're doing and thus work starts to die off. ....AND if you don't take the call, and refuse to go then that client will most probably never ever use you again.

All im saying is make sure you're confident in your own ability across many areas of the trade before contemplating the idea of going S/E. I hope it all works out for you, and good luck with your training - its a long hard path, but at the end, very rewarding.

Mark.

Been self employed for 7 years after working for a company for 6 years, it has been very hard, just got old job back , so glad to be employed again with a regular wage and no niceic fees !

Self employed here...but been subbying for the same firm for the past 2 years!! Iv been offerd a job but I'm undecided weather to give it a go on my own. The freedom sounds nice but I also have a mortgage to pay so it's difficult. I think there's alot of money to be made if you succeed, my only issue would be steady work like most by the sounds of it!

Reply to Employed/Self Employed? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net