Discuss Equipment disconnected and removed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked to disconnect and remove a large 3-phase cooker from an installation in a commercial kitchen which is being cleared. Simple enough, isolate at DB, disconnect at local isolator, blank the exit hole, job done.
The circuit in question becomes redundant, if it is re-used in the future then testing and certs will be obviously required.
Is there any certification needed for this disconection work?
The client wants a cert but I don't know what I can provide other than a simple letter confirming the work done.
Any clues greatly appreciated.

Minor works crt, after all you are altering an existing circuit aren't you?

I'm with Pete, imagine you were carrying out an eicr on the ktichen and there were a range of isolators and 3 phase sockets with nothing plugged in would you just leave them and not test because nothing was plugged in, mwc it so the customer knows it is in safe working order should she want to use it again.

+ 1 for Pete.
I issue MWs all the time now to cover myself. In this case it will be mainly N/As but you can put down exactly what you did and observations on the existing.
Better IMO than just an invoice, if some muppet comes along at a later date and reconnects then you have your copy showing that it was professionally disconnected and made safe by you.

I would tell the customer that you can test it if they want and just issue a MWC, but no certificate is required by the regs for this IMO.
I would impress upon them that the circuit would still need testing upon reconnection of any future appliances, and your test results at this point in time should not be relied upon as a future verification of safety. It could be years down the line with god knows what alterations before it's used again.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sounds odd, but having never had to do this before, filling in the MWC without a full range of tests just seems wrong. I will do that anyway. Should have mentioned in the original post that the building is being de-commissioned, it is unlikely that any new equipment will be installed. The existing equipment is being sold off. Apart from a kettle and toaster for the building contractors the kitchen is no longer used.

Reply to Equipment disconnected and removed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net