Discuss equipotential bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just done a periodic, and found the water main bonding is daisy-chained off of the gas main bond.

I seem to remember thats okay as long as the cable is unbroken at the first point of call. ( g/y sleeving stripped back at the earth clamp )

However the cable IS cut and then both ends are crimped and the lugs bolted to the earth clamp.

Looking through the regs I cant find the actual regulation that forbids this... or is it okay but just bad practice??

Its right there in 411.3.1.2

Extraneous conductive parts must be connected to the MET.

In the case you mention the gas is connected to the water.

If it was one continued (unbroken) length then technically they are connected directly to the MET.

Can`t remember how many times I`ve seen this exact situation.

The easiest way to rectify it is to join the two pieces together with a 10mm butt splice crimp and strip the cable a few inches away and pass it though the termination on the clamp.

I didnt think there was a requirement for the conductor to be unbroken in the 17th.

Anyone got theirs handy to check?

I just did the 17th this week,
and we were told that it was ok to loop betweenn the main Gas and water.
BUT it had to be unbroken cable all the way to the last point wether it was gas or water

Richard

Indeed and thats how its also been for many years.

However, in past OSG's in has stated this with the pictures etc, but in the 17th, i dont think its mentioned anymore.

That what i was wanting someone to check as im not with my books at the mo.

Reply to equipotential bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net