Discuss Estate agent ordered EICR's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jonnyb

-
Reaction score
Hi chaps, Now I tend to avoid periodics/eicr's as much as possible, as I'm a bit finicky and they take me pretty much a full day of work. However, I do the occasional one for a friend or family if needed. Just doing one at the minute for a house that's just been sold, which was previously rented only a year ago (the owner has lost the previous paperwork and solicitors are asking for it). Get there and I see it's a TT system with a 40+yr old ELCB as the main form of protection on a CU that is probably 15yrs+ old (Mem board with Eaton MCBs). The CU has no RCD's. There is no bonding in the bathroom and the rod was giving me a huge Ze reading but of course the main bonding attached was almost good (main bonding on the gas and water of course giving a parallel path). There were numerous other faults too. How did the last spark get a satisfactory outcome on the cert from only just over a year ago? (I think I know the answer!)

Building control should have copies of notifications and you could also check with the various scams to see if they have any reports for the address.

Novice question here. Presumably EICR’s are a matter between the tester and the installation owner as it’s only really valid at the point the inspection and test is carried. Any remedial action as a result of the report is the responsibility of the owner?

Yes the Report states facts and the contract is between the client and yourself. It is for the client to act upon any findings, outside of domestic any issues maybe a legal requirement under the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.

You might want to discuss with the seller how in depth you go as a detrimental report will only give buyers ammo to ask for work to be done pre-sale. Last house I bought came with caveats that the wiring be checked by a qualified electrician but then I knew I was buying project :)

A few years ago our village church was rewired, when it was due its Periodic they used the same company. Unfortunately the person doing the test failed to realise his company carried out the work and found loads of issues hence they spent a week rectifying their work foc.

Reply to Estate agent ordered EICR's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net