Discuss Exeter Electricians Wages in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alasdair82

What is the Average wage for an Electrician in Exeter and the south east of Devon?

Do most employers pay the recommended JIB rates or above? Currently at 13.79 per hour for an approved electrician. Do supervisors get paid more for having 2391 etc etc?

Please indicate what the going rates are?

The budget has been based on the JIB rates + room for a couple of pounds more per hour, up to 15 or 16 per hour. There will be a variety of task to do from call outs to new wires, re-wires, kitchens bathrooms, inspection & testing etc. They wont be stuck doing one thing all the time. They will also each be given a van.

The aim is that good reliable staff who start out with the company will have an incentive to stay and provide a certain level of loyalty if they are well treated.

They can pay you as much or as little as they wish, there is no control over non JIB companies (as long as they pay at least the min wage) that's the good thing with JIB firms they pay the rate.

not an electrician. I am an electrical engineer with a BEng in Electronic & Electrical. I have C&G2391 , 17th edition etc etc. I have worked for 12 years in Oil and Gas offshore.

I am not trying to be an "electrician". I am looking at running an electrical business and will be employing "time-served" Sparks , so before you all start with the rants and raves about plastic sparks, that is not the case. I will be in a management role. Just doing some research just now on the domestic market as I have mainly and industrial background.

The budget has been based on the JIB rates + room for a couple of pounds more per hour, up to 15 or 16 per hour. There will be a variety of task to do from call outs to new wires, re-wires, kitchens bathrooms, inspection & testing etc. They wont be stuck doing one thing all the time. They will also each be given a van.

The aim is that good reliable staff who start out with the company will have an incentive to stay and provide a certain level of loyalty if they are well treated.

So, you already have your answer. It doesn't really matter what any other company is paying.

Variety of work alone, nor above grade pay, makes a loyal and decent electrician, however.

And if I read you right, you're looking for electricians to become bathroom and kitchen fitters too? And testing, and re-wires, and fault call outs?

not an electrician. I am an electrical engineer with a BEng in Electronic & Electrical. I have C&G2391 , 17th edition etc etc. I have worked for 12 years in Oil and Gas offshore.

I am not trying to be an "electrician". I am looking at running an electrical business and will be employing "time-served" Sparks , so before you all start with the rants and raves about plastic sparks, that is not the case. I will be in a management role. Just doing some research just now on the domestic market as I have mainly and industrial background.

In which case you are going about this back to front. You need to establish what the market will pay, per hour inc VAT for such services, then allow for all your overheads and then see what's left - then you'll know what you can offer.

As a new business you won't have an established customer base, nor any reference sites and you'll be quoting against sole traders and established, well known businesses.

Think hard before taking the plunge.

You're very combative, aren't you?

Things is, you've come wandering in, asking all these questions (some very abruptly) without explaining anything of your background or intent, much less offering anything to give to the mix.

Perhaps you'd do a little better if you stopped and thought about approaching some of us as humans, rather than your personal Google, or your business planners.

And for the record, £35 an hour for some types of work within the remit of this forum is not expensive.

You're very combative, aren't you?

Things is, you've come wandering in, asking all these questions (some very abruptly) without explaining anything of your background or intent, much less offering anything to give to the mix.

Perhaps you'd do a little better if you stopped and thought about approaching some of us as humans, rather than your personal Google, or your business planners.

And for the record, £35 an hour for some types of work within the remit of this forum is not expensive.

Nicely put mate. How are you?

Reply to Exeter Electricians Wages in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net